Chapter 19 ~ Misunderstanding

Reece

I drive now as the only sound I hear is Mayella's breathing. I can tell she is in a very deep sleep considering she snores. It makes me laugh, she likes to think she doesn't snore, but she does. I had something to surprise Mayella with and I thought I would do it on Christmas.

I was going to tell her that I was no longer seeing Bree and that we were not in danger to date anymore. I felt as though this was the perfect time to say something, it felt right. Mom and dad got together around this time years and years ago.

It's always something that has to do with our parents huh?

My hand is getting tired from driving and rubbing Mayella's head at the same time. But my hand won't move because it feels like if it lets go, it won't ever be able to hold back on. I have no idea what Mayella's feelings for me are, but I'm willing to risk finding out.

I pull into a parking lot and unbuckle my seatbelt. I go around the other side and shake May to get her up. Her cute face scrunches us as she looks at me with squinty eyes. "We're here." I whisper as she rubs her eyes to get herself more awake.

She unbuckles and gets out of the car. I lead her to the park bench that is in front of us. We used to play at this park everyday as kids. She would always get hurt somehow though. "What are we doing here?" She sits down on the bench as we look at all the other kids playing. Yes it may be snowing a bit, but that's how we do it in Minnesota.

I suddenly get nervous and my throat closes up. I look her dead in the eye as she sees me struggling to put out words. "Are you okay?' I nod and look away. "How do I say this?" I ask mostly to myself but she answers anyways. "Just say it Reece." She doesn't sound annoyed or mad, just a little confused.

"Okay fine, um, me and Bree are no longer together and I like you a lot and I want us to be together." I rushed out kind of hoping she didn't hear me and kind of hoping she did so I didn't have to repeat myself.

There are no words coming out of her mouth, I take this moment to look over and see she is looking out to the park. I wait for her to speak up but if I'm being honest, we sit here for around five minutes before she speaks up.

"Why?" I tilt my head. "What do you mean why?" I say in a sassy tone. "I mean why do you want to be together Reece, why are you and Bree no longer seeing each other? Why do you like me?" Her voice comes out a little raspy. Definitely no how I planned for the night to go.

"Well, I want to be together because I like you, I'm not with Bree anymore because we broke up, I like you because I think you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen and I know who you are."

"Do you know who I am?" I'm taken back by her response. "Do you? Because last time I checked, you didn't even want to be friends with me. You didn't even want to be seen with me." I don't dare look at her. She is right, it was a stupid mistake I made and Im willing to make it up.

"What makes you think I haven't changed? Reece, we just got back to normal terms. I can't be in a relationship with you." She finally breaks my heart. I nod my head in understanding. "Tell me this." I look at her as we make eye contact.

"Would I be dumb to wait for you to be ready?" Her eyes go softer after her rant. She gives me a soft look. "Reece, don't let me hold you back. You can wait because I can't tell the future, but if you get inpatient, stop waiting." She whispers out like she is also breaking her own heart.

"Alright, that's all I needed to know."

🎀

The drive home was so silent, I had to roll down the window to get some noise. I didn't know what to think about her response. I would wait for her whether she tells me to or not. I can't get all upset though, it looked like it hurt her to say such things.

I can't help but keep glancing her way, hoping that she will tell me to stop the car so I can pull over and kiss her. She doesn't fall asleep either which is weird. She is probably uncomfortable with the tension and can't sleep.

"Reece?" Oh gosh, every time she starts a sentence with my name, it's hard to tell if it's going to be good or bad. I make a 'mmm' sound but don't look over to her. I can't look at her, because if I do, I will end up pulling the car over and kiss her.

"I don't want this to mean we go back to avoiding each other. I really do love you and I don't think I could live any longer without my best friend." I will admit, it hurt when she called me her best friend. But that's what I am, for now.

I don't want this to mean that either. "I won't avoid you, I promise." I say and I can see her smiling and nodding her head. I would be wrong to tell her we aren't friends anymore just because she rejected me. It wouldn't be fair to her.

"Good." We fall back into a deep silence as I pull up to her driveway and we both get out. Once we walk in the house, everybody is sleeping except for mom. I bet she stayed up and waited for us to come back.

We go back to the couch and take a seat. I looked at mom, she knew what I was doing. I told her that I wanted Mayella. It's funny how I go to mom for everything but not dad. Guess you could call me a mama's boy.

She gives me a head tilt and I shake my head which makes her frown. She then mouths, "Sorry" but I dismiss her and smile. I look back to May who is deep asleep. I sigh as I try to fall asleep but it's hard when I'm sleeping right next to her, wanting her for myself.

It takes everything in me not to grab her by her waist and cuddle her up to me. Kiss her forehead, whisper sweet nothings, make her giggle. It's all in my dreams though. At least I know her though, and I know she likes me enough to keep me around.

That's enough for me, for now.

A/N

I was going to make them enemies again, but I realized that if I did that, the story would have to drag out longer since the plot is not that. I feel bad for doing this too them but let me just tell you, it leads up to the confession *smirky face*

hint hint, if you look at the tags in this book, you will see what kind of confession I'm talking about.

Jesus loves you! Bye!