Chapter 24 ~ Ryland

Mayella

I unlock my locker and put some of my books in there. We have to be at rehearsal to walk the stage. I hurry up my pace as I meet up with Reece half way. "Sad we can't walk together. Our last names are only a few letters off. I even tried to convince dad to give the principal an autograph if he lets us walk together."

I laugh at Reece's confession. "It would mess the whole thing up. At least we are sharing a party after the ceremony." He nods in agreement. We walk side by side on our way to the gym. We separate once we have to find an assigned seat. Poor guy is stuck with some girl named Maddie. Nothing against her, but everyone knows that she has the biggest crush on him.

He looks to me and mouths 'help' and I laugh as I turn my attention to the front. I see a figure coming to me and I look up to see an unfamiliar face. He sits next to me and gives me a smile once he sees me.

God why! You know dimples are a weakness!

"Hi, I'm Ryland Carson, I guess I'm your partner." Even his voice is making me melt. "Mayella." I shake his hand as we pay attention to the principal going over what is needed. Once we are dismissed, Ryland turns to me and gives me a confused look. "We don't have to bring a cap and gown for practice right?"

"No, only for the last practice and the actual ceremony." I say and he nods. "It was nice to meet you Mayella, take care." He gives me yet again another charming smile as I wave him off. "I swear Maddie is so clingy, the whole time she was holding my arm and using the excuse 'I'm just practicing for when we have to do this.' like! Space please." Reece's voice comes from behind me but I'm too busy watching Ryland walk away.

"Mayella?" I snap out of my thoughts when he shakes me. "Huh, what?" I ask him to repeat what he said. "Are you okay?" He asks and I nod. "Peachy."

🎀

"Was he cute!" Willow from the other line squeals as I tell her about my day. "You have no idea!" I respond as she laughs. "Well, you guys are going to be spending time together, so get to know him!"

I chuckle. "What about Reece?" I ask her. I had told her about what happened on Christmas and she told me that I was right to tell him I wasn't ready because if I had, it wouldn't have worked because only one of us would have been all in.

"Reece will understand. Sure he might be upset that you found interest in another guy after he confessed he had feelings. But you know him!"

I agree with her. We talk for a bit before I hang up and go to bed.

🎀

Next day at practice, Ryland and I chatted for a while and got to know each other. We have so much in common. Today we actually got up and got into position and walked. I latch onto Ryland's arm as we walk slowly to the stage. We get the thumbs up and head out of there.

"That was torture." I laugh as we walk. Normally, we would go our own ways but he kept walking with me until we got to the gate that opens the school. "Well, I will see you next week. For the senior trip."

I start to walk away before I hear my name. Ryland catches up to me and catches his breath. "I um, would you like to grab food sometime? I mean we don't have to but I just find you very interesting and would love to get to know you." He says in the most soft voice ever.

My knees want to buckle and melt into a huge puddle. I can sense he is a good one.

"I will go to dinner with you." I bite my lip to keep from smiling so big and he does the same. We burst out laughing after we see that we are doing the same thing. He gives me his phone to put my number in and I do the same.

He walks me to my car and waves me goodbye.

I'm done for.

🎀

I walk through the door to see everybody is already here. Even Reece. How did he get here before me? Okay maybe I was driving slow to avoid crashing out of excitement. But still, he was behind us when we were walking.

"Hey Baby Peach!" Mom calls out from the couch. I go to greet her and dad and sit down on the floor and sip on my water. "How were the two of you practicing?" Eli now speaks up. I nod. "It was fun."

"Only you can say that." Reece shakes his head. I rolled my eyes and hit his arm playfully. "Hey what's up with that kid you're with?" He pops a candy in his mouth. Crap, this is what I was trying to avoid talking about.

"Nothing, why?" I ask pretending that I don't know what he is talking about. "Because you guys looked awfully cozy." His voice gets cold which makes me look at him. He is not looking at me so I drop the conversation.

"Alright let's eat!" Mom leads the way into the kitchen. It's a very silent dinner and I'm surprised that no one is talking about what Reece said. Normally, Fay or even Mom would be bugging me about such things.

After we are done eating, I don't feel so good so I go up to my room and lay down trying to calm down my stomach. I must have eaten something bad because it hurts like a truck hit me. Or it could be my period. Which would mean a week of dying.

I sigh as I run a hot shower and take tonight to take care of myself. It's important to me to have nights like this. It makes you feel a lot better and happier. I make sure that they are gone before I head downstairs to say my goodnights but after that, I crash.

A/N

I know this may seem like a very fast paced story and the chapters and days are going by fast, but I'm so impatient and just want my babies to be together so I'm cutting some unnecessary things to make the book bearable to read.

Spelling and Grammar corrections are encouraged.

And I'm sorry to say, but Ryland is one of the good guys and he is going to get heartbroken....

ANYWAYS JESUS LOVES YOU STAY SAFE BABES!