Chapter 25 ~ Like Love

Reece

It's the beginning of April which means that we are leaving for our senior trip tomorrow morning. I'm not as excited as I was a couple weeks ago. That's because Mayella and that Ryland guy have been hanging out for a while and I'm just bummed that she isn't hanging with me.

I see how he looks at her in rehearsal, because I look at her like that. Him being here doesn't mean I won't wait though. Just because they might date, doesn't mean they will be together forever.

I sit on my suitcase as I close it and go downstairs to put it by the door. I go to the kitchen and grab some leftovers from tonight and stuff my face. Mom and dad give me a concerned look from the couch they are sitting on.

"What?" I say with my mouth full of food. "Close your mouth Reece, that's gross." Dad says and turns his attention back to the tv. Mom just smiles at me and waves me off. I go to my room and try to prepare for this weekend senior trip. Thankfully it's not a whole week.

🎀

I get on the boys bus, slouching and dragging my feet as I take a seat by the window. I lean my head against it and try to fall back asleep. "Is this seat taken?" A voice says and makes me look up. I see Ryland pointing to the seat next me. I groan on the inside but nod my head without making any facial expressions.

"Thanks." He mutters which makes me nod and go back to my sleeping position and start thinking of some kind of scenario that will help me sleep. Yes, I do that. No shocker there, I just can't go to sleep without it.

Most of them are about Mayella, just scenarios of what a wedding would be like though, and maybe throw in a kid.

I can't stop my hands from grabbing my phone and texting her.

Hey, on the bus?

I wait a few minutes before a response

Sagey: Yep, I'm sitting next to this one girl named Belinda. She is kind of creepy.

I snort as I begin texting her back.

Who names their child that?

A bad parent.

I smile and put my phone away as I sleep the rest of the way to the resort.

🎀

For our senior trip, our principal booked a hotel in the nice part of Minnesota. There are a lot of fun things to do but the main thing we are doing is the pier. I step out of the bus and go to the lobby to find my suitcase.

I see Mayella talking with Ryland as they both try and find their bags. I happen to see a bag with her name on it... so I steal it and put it behind my back. I sit down on the top and wait for her to notice it's gone.

"I could've sworn he did it by last names." She stresses which makes me want to laugh out loud so badly. I can't hold it in anymore and when she turns to see me, she sees that I'm looking right at her laughing. She storms up to me and knocks me off her suitcase as I tumble to the ground laughing.

"Not funny Reece!" She says and pouts. I can't help but look down to her lips and wish that I was with her and not him. I can't help but admire how beautiful she is and how I can't wait for the day that she realizes that she belongs with me.

I get up and head to my assigned room. Thankfully, I'm sharing with a couple of hockey boys. I never had a best friend except for Mayella. It would be nice to have a bro with me, but Mayella was all I ever needed.

"What is the name of the first event?" My hockey mate Luke asks my other teammate Oliver. "Campfire." We all groan and put on some layers so that we aren't freezing our butts off.

I make my way to the campfire and see Mayella sitting alone. I'm about to walk over to her but Ryland beats me to it and hands her a hot chocolate and takes that seat. I sigh in frustration but sit across from them. I don't think she sees me, she is too invested in him.

I sip on my hot chocolate as I stare at the two of them being all lovey dovey. I won't lie, Ryland is the perfect guy for her. He has the grades, looks, and athletic skills. I lack grades. But he is perfect and I would be wrong to make them stay away.

"Alright guys! We are here to get to know one another if we didn't get a chance in highschool. Team up with someone you don't know." The counselor says.

Oh big brother.

🎀

I had a very eventful night getting to know this one chick who won't get off my back. She is worse than Maddie. I found out after me and Bree broke up that Maddie was the one setting her up. But Maddie denies it and still keeps on going.

It's now time to head back to our rooms to sleep because tomorrow is only a full day and the teachers want to get everything done possible.

I drag my feet to my room as I stumble across voices. I turn the corner and see Mayella and Ryland stand by the vending machines talking. They are both giggling and laughing like they are the funniest people they know.

I know I said I would be wrong to make them stay away from each other. But that doesn't mean that I have to be happy with it. I can't look at the love of my life and be happy with some other guy I know is better for her than me.

Holy crap, I love her. Like love her love her.