Chapter 27 ~ Confession

Reece

It's Friday night. The night that I dread now that Mayella has been inviting Ryland to dinner. They are still not official but I can tell that if I give it a few more weeks, they will be. I had to stay a little late for hockey practice so now I'm walking into her house all drenched in rain.

I greet mom and dad as I take off my coat and dry off a bit. I head to the kitchen to grab a soda when I see Ryland and Mayella sitting on the barstools talking and laughing. I avoid any eye contact and go back to the living room to sit on the floor.

What if I'm too late? What if he has plans to ask her sooner rather than later. If I were him. I would do that. But do I want to be him? No, I want to be me and have Mayella all to myself. I want to be the one that kisses her on endless days and cuddles her when she doesn't feel safe. I want to be her safe space.

I'm not the immature boy I used to be, I'm a man, and I need to own up to my feelings because I know I will regret it if I don't.

"Reece honey?" I get snapped out of my thoughts when I see Abby standing in the living room. "It's dinner." I nod my head and get out of my seat from the floor. I head to the table and see that another guy is in my spot.

I'm forced to sit in a chair that is different from the rest and that was pulled out for a guest. I'm not a guest. This is my second home. So why am I the one sitting in a different chair. I stuff my face with food to avoid any conversation whatsoever.

"How was practice?" Dad asks me and I tell him all about how they are talking about scholarships for college. I don't look at May and keep my head down most of the time.

"So Reece.." That annoying voice from my seat at the table speaks up. I nod my head still not looking up from my plate. "I heard you are applying for Seattle too, just like Mayella huh?" That little piece of-

"Yes, as a matter of fact. That was the plan for years." I grow some confidence as I look up from my plate and see Mayella giving me the death glare telling me to cut it out. "Well I was just asking because I was going to send an application through there as well."

That's when I drop my fork and look up to him. "Why?" I ask him and I notice how the table falls silent. "Because Mayella will be there and I want to be with her."

"Well I will be there so there is no need for you there." I feel dad kicking me under the table as I get a stare from everybody. "Reece." Mayella speaks up and this gets me to freak out. "Can we talk outside?" She asks through clenched teeth.

"But it's pouring."

"I don't care, let's go." She gets up and drags us outside in the pouring rain, and not even on the porch. She has us in the driveway so no one in the house can see or hear us.

"What is your problem!" She yells over the rain. "He was trying to be nice and start up a conversation with you!"

"He was getting under my damn skin, Mayella! Why don't you see that?" I ask her now we are both angry and ready to break. "It wouldn't hurt to be nice to him!"

"Why because he's your boyfriend? I don't have to like Mayella. Why do you care so much!" The rain seems to be getting heavy and the wind is blowing back and forth. "Because! You're my best friend and I want my best friend to like my potential boyfriend!" We are having a shouting fest right now.

"Well I don't like him, Mayella! And I'm sorry if I disappointed you with my best friend title." I say in a softer voice. "But I can't like him, I can't!"

"Why not!"

"Because I love you Mayella damn it!" I finally shouted. Our heavy breathing continues and we stop speaking. The rain is now soaking us and I'm not sure how to deal with the words that just came out of my mouth.

"What?" She asks like she can't believe I would say something like that. "I love you Mayella. I always have. That's why I can't like him, and you know that."

We stare at each other for a good amount of time. I wonder why we haven't been called inside. But that's the last thing on my mind. Because in an instant, Mayella had run up to me and pushed her lips up against mine.

In shock, I still manage to kiss her soft lips with all I can. We move in a perfect sync as the rain starts to pour on us but we drown it out. Her hands cup my face as she brings me closer for body warmth. We pull away and catch our breath with our eyes still closed.

"I love you too." She looks me dead in my eyes and I kiss her harder than the last. She loves me. Mayella loves me. And I'm kissing her right now. My mind is screaming. We pull away and break into fits of laughter.

"Well now I have a boy in my house that needs to leave." She sighs. It must be hard for her to have to get rid of someone like that. But I know she will do just fine. I wrap my arms around her in a hug and kiss her head.

We head inside and I immediately go to the towel closet to grab us towels to dry off. I'm upstairs so I'm safe from the wrath of Ryland. I can tell he is pissed because I heard the door slamming a minute later.

I come downstairs with two towels and hand one to Mayella. Everybody is staring at us like we just killed someone. I lean into Mayella's ear, "What did you tell him?"

"I basically told everyone that I was in love with you and that he needed to leave." She bites her lip as she whispers back. I smile down at her and warm her up.

"Got the girl huh?" Dad's voice speaks up. I look at him and nod. "Finally!" Our moms stay in sync and start jumping up and down.

"Good grief" Cole says the final words of the amazing night we have.

I got the girl. And I plan on having the girl forever.

A/N

Tehehe. Love yall

Stay safe babes! Jesus loves you