Introduction

He knew I was serious when he found me standing on his doorstep in the pouring rain. Completely drenched to the bone, I didn’t even care that my shivering actually took over my entire body. My dress and jacket were soaked, dragging me down as if they wanted me to meld into the stone step.

“What are you doing here?” Curious, he asked from the warm inside of his little house. I saw his parents sitting at the table, tight-mouthed and serious. I didn’t even want to look at them.

“I need to see him.” I breathed through gritted teeth, shaking uncontrollably. My heart clenched and my fists balled with such sorrow I could feel it worse than the cold. “Just please let me see him.”

He looked over his shoulder at his mother, who was staring at me. I don’t know what was running through her at that moment; maybe pity, maybe fury. I didn’t care. I just wanted to see him.

“I don’t think I can do that, Rosie.” He whispered, leaning out into the rain but clutching onto the doorframe; his anchor to the warm love he felt inside. The look on his face told me he felt sorry for me. “He doesn’t want to see you.”

“Yes he does.” I told his brother. “Yes he does.”

“I’m sorry.” He smiled at me sadly, like it was a bittersweet goodbye. I tried to stop the door from shutting but my hand just slipped off in the thick droplets that heaven offered. I was suddenly glad that it was raining, because I was sure that no one could see my tears as they mingled with the rain.