Five Years

(Remus and Sirius get a surprise visit from a friend and fellow Order member, and Remus makes some important connections about her past - and possibly their future together. Also, I guess I did technically include hair texture in here but it's kind of important to the tension and delivery, I'll try and keep them as open as I can in terms of physical description. Just for reference, y/l/n is "your last name" and y/n/n is "your nickname"! Enjoy! <3)

"y/n." Remus' eyes were wide in shock at the sight of his friend and ex-classmate on his doorstep in this weather. It had been pitching it down all afternoon, which Sirius had declared to be "depressing, even for London." Remus had to disagree, he liked it when the weather was as melancholy as he was, but the idea of someone he cared about being out in the cold, soaking wet and shivering like she was, stirred up a need to see her safe. "Come in! It's pouring! What are you doing out there?" he ushered her in, his warm, scarred hand clutching a thin, goose-bumped arm.

"Last minute mission from Alastor. The man really is mad! I've been waiting around Knockturn Alley for four hours just to find out I shouldn't be there, the hard way." Standing in the living room, between Sirius and the TV (not that Sirius minded or cared, he still hated the thing), y/n's teeth began chattering like mad.

"Let me get you some tea. And something warm to put on. Do you need a hot shower?" Remus spoke without thinking, and hoped to God or Merlin or whoever was listening that she didn't find the offer too strange. After all, they'd been friends for nearly ten years.

"S-sure. Thanks, Remus."

She followed him into the bathroom and looked around awkwardly as her friend scrambled for a clean towel and washcloth. Then he dug through the chest of drawers in the bedroom for a short sleeved button-down shirt, a pair of maroon plaid pajama pants, and some thick wool socks. He also looked over his shoulder before digging through a hat box in the closet. On top of the foraged clothes was a black sports bra with the tags on and a pair of panties, still taped into a roll from the package. "One of the unfortunate benefits of living with Sirius Black," he explained.

"I so don't wanna know. Thanks." She took the pile of clothes with a smile and turned her back on Remus, removing the necklace that was always hidden away under her shirt. Remus had never actually seen it, but before he could get a good look she looked back at him over her shoulder. "Are we at the point in our friendship where you can see me naked?" she arched an eyebrow at him with a smile and looked him up and down.

"Sorry, I'll get started on that tea. Enjoy - I mean - I hope you feel better." And, turning on his heels, he made for the kitchen before Sirius could make a smart remark to get him even redder than he already was.

After a few minutes, he heard what sounded like a hissing noise coming from the living room. He assumed it was the TV until it came again, followed by a whispered, "Oi, Moony!"

Setting down the half-opened package of Digestives, he poked his head around the doorway. "What?" he muttered.

"Listen!" Sirius pointed to his own ear and then to the bathroom door. Over the sound of the shower, a faint tune could be heard. It sounded familiar, and Remus stepped out of the kitchen to listen closer.

"Think I saw you in an ice cream parlor

Drinking milkshakes cold and long

Smiling and waving and looking so fine

Don't think you knew you were in this song."

It was beautiful. He'd never heard a girl sing Bowie before. A woman, he corrected himself, thinking of how Mary would tell him off for talking about them as if they were all still twelve. It was slow, and she imitated Bowie a little, but she somehow made the song more haunting than it already was, and almost twice as mournful. The echo of the bathroom and the sound of the water turned it into something truly ethereal. She didn't sound like she was smiling, or particularly happy. He wondered what her face looked like while she sang, maybe as she slicked her wet hair down her neck, droplets of water falling and clinging to her skin - he stopped himself before the image of y/n in the shower progressed any further.