The Runway

"Why do you have this?" I ask, holding up the compass.

"Put that down." He snaps.

"This is John B's, dad. Where did you get this?" I ask, getting angrier.

"John B and your friends are in way over their heads. Ok, the gold is-"

"How do you know about the gold?" I ask.

"What?" He asks, "It's a famous ship wreck Jade." He snaps. "And John B doesn't want my help getting the gold."

"How do you know we found it?" I ask.

"Jade-"

"Tell me, dad!" I scream.

"I'm not stupid, Jade! Now tell me where it is!" He screams, walking up to me.

"No! Why would I do that?! You're a liar!" I scream. He slaps me across the face knocking me on to the ground.

"Jade! Tell me, now!" He screams, towering over me.

"Why do you have the compass." I seeth. "If you tell me why you have it, I'll tell you where the gold is." I say, ignoring the stab of pain on my cheek. 

"It's a long story, Jade. I can't-" 

"I'll wait." I say.

"It was an accident, ok? I swear I didn't mean to hurt him." He then goes into a very long story about how he murdered Big John. Got rid of his body. Lied to John B. Lied to me. Lied to everyone.

"You killed Big John?" I whisper, tears, running down my face. "You murdered him? You let him die on his own?! You let John B go nine months without a father! You-" he shuts my mouth by slapping a hand over it.

"I said what I said. Now, tell me where the gold is." He whispers in my ear, ignoring the tears rolling down my in fear.

"I'm not telling you shit." I say.

"Fine. Fine. Go to your room." he orders.

"What?" I ask, nervous.

"Go to your fucking room!" He screams. I get up and run through the house and into my bedroom.

⋆