FORTY EIGHT

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily.

Yesterday was painful, sleeping alone, feeling the bond twitch at the idea of not being near our mate

Yesterday was painful, sleeping alone, feeling the bond twitch at the idea of not being near our mate. I asked for space and he gave me that, but I still had no clue what was going on in his head. Does he still think he's being fair?

I had been sleeping in my old room, away and hidden from everyone. Kassian would have hated that I was sleeping there instead of our bed but I made that decision and it would be my choice when I come back to sleep beside him again.

Kassian was down in his office with Mace, Alfie and some others. When they have a meeting it mostly rolls over because they end up talking about pointless shit that doesn't even matter, so I used this time to slide into our bedroom.

Retrieving some clean clothes and grabbing my toothbrush from the bathroom.

I sigh when I see the state of the room, he hadn't even been bothered to make the bed. Clothes everywhere, pillows unorganised, a stash of mugs laying on the bedside table.

My sleeves are rolled and I begin to tidy up, I'm not even sure why but I wanted to keep myself busy and looking at this mess made me feel nauseous.

Kassian clearly didn't care about the cleanliness of this room, probably because he's fretting in his mind about what happened. Join the club. I think in my head.

As I make the bed and shove his clothes into the wash basket, I hear the door creak open behind me. I refuse to turn around and instead continue to tidy up. I knew it was Kassian as soon as he entered because his deep, musky scent made my head tight and my body close to passing out.

The door shuts firmly and he clears his throat, not because he wants my attention but because he's nervous. I could sense it.

My arms sting from the goosebumps that invade my skin, the hairs standing on end as he inches closer. Even my wolf howls at our close proximity, the closest we've been in over twenty-four hours.

I frown at my body's reaction, trying my hardest not to turn around and fall straight into his arms to stop this dull ache inside me. But I stand my ground, he hasn't even apologised and I'm not doing or saying anything until he does.

"Cleo," his voice is calm. "Please can we talk?"

My teeth grit at how his voice sends shivers down my spine, this isn't ideal when you're meant to be mad at someone. I brush off the urge to give in and instead shrug, sweeping up the pillows from the floor and placing them onto the bed.

Kassian sighs from behind me and I stare ahead at the window. "I am sorry for how I acted, I was being a dick and not thinking about the bigger picture," he starts slowly. "I never meant to hurt you, I never thought you'd ever betray me. Things just came out wrong and I was angry."