chapter twenty three

"How is your client pleading?" Judge Pensky asked.

"My client will be pleading guilty." Mac's attorney spoke. 

"Thank you; I'll discuss the proper sentencing on the next court date." 

Mac stood up along with her mother, Gina, making her shake her head.

Her mother hasn't had a real conversation with her since she found out Haven pressed charges. She missed her mom, but she missed Maicee more than anything.

She knew Maicee was done with her when she watched Flaire beat her up. 

"Your father is coming to town."

"Why?"

"I don't know, but he wants to see all his kids."

"Are you coming?"

"Am I his kid Mackenzie?"

"I don't want to go without you."

"Mhm."

She walked off, leaving me as Mac saw Sapphire. She looked at her as Mac gave her a small smile; Sapphire ignored her, running after her mom getting in the car.

"When can I go back to school?"

"I don't know; I have to call the school to see. You probably can't even go to school since you have a damn restraining order on you."

"It's not my fault."

"Mac do not start with me before I hurt your feelings."

Mac shut up going on TikTok. The first person to pop up on her for you page was Haven making her roll as eyes as she watched the video with her and Ezra. She looked back up seeing they were pulling into the driveway.

"What's the verdict?" Her big brother Mitchell asked.

"Have to see tomorrow; that's her sentencing date."

"You better pray they only give you a warning."

"I wouldn't have pled guilty if they didn't find a video of everything." She rolled her eyes making her mother turn.

"You wouldn't have been in this damn situation if you would've minded your fucking business and tried to be a damn follower."

"Amen," Mai said, coming down the stairs.

"And where the fuck you been?"

"Tyke house, I told you that multiple times."

"She did ma." Mitchell cosigned, making Mac roll her eyes.

"I don't know what you rolling your eyes for, that's how people get punched in their face." 

"Cut it out, Maicee."

"I'm just saying; she needs to not start with me."

"Girl, bye." Mac waved her off. "You always got something to say to me and think Imma keep letting it slide."

"Mackenzie, let's just act as if we care about anything you saying." Maicee chuckled, pouring her cereal. "I hope they bury your ass under the jail."

"Cut it out, Maicee." My mom repeated.

"I'm just saying." Maicee chuckled. "She can barely fight, and without a crowd, you let people say what they want to you, so imagine what you gon be like in jail is funny. Don't drop the soap darling."

"Maicee," Mitchell said.

"That was the last thing I'm saying." She chuckled as she walked upstairs.

Mackenzie tilted her lips to the side trying to hold in her tears, she felt every word. Usually, Maicee would just walk right past her not saying anything but this time she hurt her feelings. She would rather Mai not say anything to her rather than say what she has to.