Dreams

(Authors note: This has mentions of PTSD. it has a few of small bits in one. I am writing them as I think they would react based on the TV show arcane. this is my first fanfic, be nice but constructive criticism is welcomed)

Vi woke with a shout, sitting up and putting her head in her hands. Her breath came in short, shallow breaths. She was drenched in sweat, shaking slightly. Her nightmare echoed in her mind.

 Flashes of Caitlyns' head on that platter flashed in her mind. "I paid your girlfriend a visit.." A sob racked Vi's body, shaking her head.  "I made her a snack" Jinx said cheerfully putting the platter on the table. It was the only thing she could see.  The light flickered, and she started to toy with the platter cover. no no no  Vi gasped. She could see Jinx bringing  the cover up and saw Caits' bruised and bloody head on the platter. "NO!" Vi yelled, tears streaming down her face.

"Vi?" Caitlyn asked, waking up. She turned to see Vi shaking, rocking back and forth. "Vi, what's wrong?" She asked. and Vi uncovered her eyes. Vi's eyes was glossed over, seeing things that weren't there. " no no no no. How could you? She had nothing to do with this!" Vi shouted.

 "Vi!" Caitlyn said firmly, moving towards her. Vi took her head out of her hands, and looked at Caitlyn. She took Vi's hands in hers', and the glossed over look left Vi's  eyes. She sat there looking at Caitlyn, as if to wonder if she was real.  Caitlyn squeezed her hands and Vi quickly embraced her.

 She could hear Vi's breath coming in short sobs, making her hyperventilate. Vi hid in the crook of her neck, tears falling and wetting her shirt. "It's okay, Vi. You're safe. She can't hurt you." Caitlyn rubbed Vi's back, and kissed her head. Vi grabbed hand fulls of her T-shirt. She knew what Vi was seeing, it was a recurring nightmare. She knew that Vi was seeing that night of Jinxs' dinner, and realized that Jinx had her. Vi thought that Jinx had taken Caitlyns head, and in that dream, Jinx had. 

"I'm right here, Vi. We're safe. I'm right here." Caitlyn kept reminding her, trying to sooth her panicked partner. " Easy, Easy, Easy," She whispered, "Breathe, Vi." Vi obeyed to the best of her ability. She sucked air in, and sobbed out. She started to hiccup, "I c- can't." crying harder. Caitlyn ran her fingers through her hair, still whispering. 

"Caitlyn.." Vi whispered hoarsely against her. "I know, Vi. I'm right here." Caitlyn whispered back. Vi pulled her in tighter, " I dreamt.." Vi choked, " I dreamt that she-", another sob racked her body. "She's not here. I'm okay. You're okay." reassured Caitlyn.

After what seemed like hours, Vi brought herself up to meet Caitlyns' eyes. Caitlyn didn't let her go, and kissed her forehead. "I don't know what I would do if she took you again.." Vi whispered, slack into Caitlyns hug. "There's no reason to worry yourself about that, Vi." Vi tensed, and sighed. "But it's a real risk!"  She said, fear swelling in her chest. 

Caitlyn was the one good thing in her life. She showed Vi kindness, tenderness, that she was never shown. At least not, in her memory. She was genuine, she was consistent, and she was gentle. She didn't hold Jinxs' actions against Vi, despite the pain she caused. She wasn't what she was used to.  Caitlyn loved her in a way she never thought she would be loved again. After years of pain and walls, she found gentleness and light. And Caitlyn meant too much for her to lose again. To risk losing at all.

" Your worry isn't misplaced. But I'm right here. And that's all that matters right now." Caitlyn said, and Vi found herself content not to argue. Caitlyn still stroked her hair gently, and Vi knew that she was right. And that she couldn't leave her again.  "Don't leave me." Vi mumbled. "I won't." Caitlyn whispered. 

Vi found herself over come with sleep, drowsiness consuming her. She fell slack in Caitlyns' arms, and Cait brought them down to lay on the bed. Vi's had muscles were almost soft against Caitlyns body.  Caitlyn fell asleep to the sound of Vi's breathing. She never let go of Vi that night, and Vi didn't dream.