==Chapter 11==

(Warning, Mention of suicide.)

The kiss that she had pressed on my cheek lingered for quite some time. It left me in a dreamlike daze while I drove. That probably is why I didn't notice the black truck behind me.
With a loud Bang, the truck hit the back of my car, making me lose control of the steering wheel. My car spun out and flipped over. Something hit my head and everything went dark.

When I opened my eyes again, everything was blurry. I smelled smoke and could hear the crackling of a fire. I shook my head a couple of times and I could see a little clearer. I was hanging upside down in my safety belt in the car. My windshield was shattered and I could see the glow of flames. After some struggle, I freed myself from the safety belt and crawled out of the wreckage. I groaned as I slowly tried to get to my feet. but I was pushed back down. "Oh no, you don't." Said a voice. Crap. "You work for the Syndicate I presume." I coughed.
"That's right, you filthy mistake of nature." The mystery man said. "But this is something personal. You threatened my kid."
Ah, shit. So Max did talk.
He pressed something against my back and pain seared through my body. I trashed around and the man let out a sadistic laugh. The man pressed what I suspected to be a taser, back against my back, and another wave of pain seared through me, making me scream. When he pulled the object away again, I was covered in sweat and was panting. The man grabbed my shoulder and turned me around. He had blonde hair and a crooked nose. His eyes were filled with hatred. In his hand was a baton. "I'm gonna kill you for that," he told me.
He again brought down the baton, and I could hear the electricity crackle. But before he could hit me, I grabbed the baton with my right hand and kicked the man's legs away from under him. He let go of the baton as he fell and managed to prevent himself from hitting the tarmac face first. By the time he got back up, I was also on my feet, his baton still in my hand.
I pointed it at him as he took a fighting stance. "Don't." It was all I said. It came out like a growl.
He didn't lower his hands but lunged at me. I managed to dodge the first punch, but he managed to hit me in the face, right on the nose, with the second one, making me stumble backward. Before he could hit me again, I dropped the baton, grabbed his arm, and pulled him down while kicking him against the back of his knee. I worked him to the ground and managed to get him in a holding grip I had learned when I was young. He struggled, but I managed to hold him down.
A couple of people came running out of their houses, drawn by the commotion.
"What the hell is happening here?" A muscular man said. He had a deep, rumbling voice, like rolling thunder. "This man rammed my car and attacked me," I said, struggling to hold my attacker down, but he stopped struggling when he saw the people around him. "Can one of you call the cops?" I asked the bystanders. An older woman nodded and pulled out her Holon. The muscular man helped me hold down the man who attacked me, and I let go and stumbled back, panting. The man glared at me. "They're going to get you eventually. You can't run forever." Then he bit down on something and went limp. Foam came out of his mouth and I knew he was dead.
"You can let go of him," I said to the man that had been holding him down. "He killed himself. Probably some kind of capsule with quick working poison hidden in one of his teeth, or something like that." My voice was cold and flat. Muscles looked at me and then back at the dead man and let go of him. He gave me another good look and said, "You should sit down. You're trembling like a wet dog."
I nodded and sat down carefully. The world around me was spinning and everything started to get blurry. I must have been getting pale or something because Muscles grabbed me by my shoulders and said, "Stay with me kid. We can't have you dozing off right now." But it was no use. His voice echoed through my head and my eyelids fell close.

But just as I slipped into unconsciousness my vision exploded with colors and I could hear distant whispering. "Shit! He's slipping away. What do I do?" "When will the dammed police arrive?" "Who is this kid? He looks familiar." Along with al, the whispering came flurries of emotions. Anger, sadness, confusion, and many others.

What the... It took me some time to realize I was listening to the thoughts and emotions of the people around me. But how? I wasn't telepathic, right? I'm telekinetic. Unless someone can have more than one power at the same time. It made sense, in a way. Why would one be confined to just one power?
I noticed it was getting hard to think as darkness started to form around me again.
No. I can't lose consciousness now. I must stay awake. I focussed on the whispers, holding on to them, fighting to stay awake. After what felt like forever, I opened my eyes again and looked around. Muscles was still holding me by my shoulders and gave a relieved sigh when he saw me open my eyes.
"Oh, thank goodness. I thought I lost you there for a second. Just stay with me okay? Help is on its way." I nodded slowly, all my muscles aching.
An eternity later, the police and a sky-ambulance arrived. Two medics rushed out, one of them kneeling next to the lifeless man, and the other came over to me along with one of the police officers.
"Well, well, well. If it isn't James Mercury." The police officer said. "What happened this time?"
I slowly looked up and recognized him. Of all the cops, it had to be him. It was Daniel Mason, Lee's father.
I flashed a smile at him. "I got rammed. Again. And then attacked. and then I passed out for a second, I think. I'm not certain on the last part." I looked da Daniel straight in the eyes and saw them narrow a bit. "Sounds like any Wednesday evening to me. For you at least." There was a short silence. Then we both busted out in laughter, which made my chest hurt.
"Hold still." The doctor said, checking my arm. I pulled it away. "I'm fine. Only a couple of scrapes." I assured him. He looked me straight in the eyes. "The burn marks and blood veins tell me otherwise. You were attacked with some kind of electrical weapon, weren't you?"
I nodded and pointed to the baton on the ground. "With that." The doctor looked at the baton and back at me. "Well, it looks like you're not in a health-threatening situation, so you can go. But I want you to keep an eye on your health very closely in the coming week. Any sign of fatigue or sudden headaches and I expect you to come straight to the hospital, understand?" "Yes sir," I told him. "Can you stand?" Daniel asked all of a sudden. I tried, but my legs felt weak and couldn't support me, so I sat back down again. "Nope. Got a case of the good old jelly legs." I smiled. He sighed. "Let's get you home shall we? Your mom must be worried sick."
I nodded in agreement. He helped me up and dismissed the medic that was checking me.
We walked to his car, me leaning on his shoulders.
As we drive home I started to feel my legs again. Then I remembered something. "My backpack is still in the back of my car." Daniel looked at me. "Then I'll get it after I drop you off. You just get some rest and leave the rest to me." I thought about complaining but dropped it. complaining wouldn't do me any good now.
After a little while, we stopped on the driveway of my home. With a little help from Mr. Mason, I made my way over to the front door where my mother was already waiting.
She opened her mouth to say something, but when she saw me leaning on Daniel's shoulder, she closed it again. "I'll explain later." Mr. Mason said. "James, you go off to bed." I gave a small nod, suddenly feeling tired. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit my pillow.