Just Me

When you look at me I want you to see me. Not my parents youngest or my sister's little sister. Not my aunt's niece or my cousin's youngest cousin. I want you to see me. Not my bestfriends bestfriend or my grandparents granddaughter. When you look at me, and truly look at me, not just a glance when I speak up in class, or when I speed past your house on my bike. When you look at me I want you to see me. Not the girl who loves to ride bike, not the girl who always makes a lemonade stand with her bestfriend each summer, and most certainly not the girl who can't do math. But to my home town that's what I always will be. Just that. My parents youngest, my sister's little sister. My aunt's niece, my cousins youngest cousin. My bestfriends bestfriend, my grandparents granddaughter. That's all they'll ever see. The girl who loves to ride bike. The girl who makes a lemonade stand each summer with her bestfriend. The girl who can't do math. I will always be a girl to my hometown. Yet I never was a girl, it only took me awhile to realize that. I'm not a girl and I'm not a boy. I'm just me. I'm nonbinary. And I don't want you to forget that. But I know if you're from my hometown, you will.

Word Count:234