Sleep Now (Harry Styles One Shot)

Feeling protected and safe reassures a rest at night. The feeling of protection is where you can let your guard down for even one moment, knowing that it’s not the only thing that has to fight for your safety. The feeling of safety is where you can put your trust and faith into someone without having to back out, without having to second guess your certainty. 

     The knowing — the no second guesses — are really what can put you to sleep. The positive thoughts and sleepiness simply comes with it, but the fact that someone warm and cuddly and soft is lying next to you, their head used as a pillow for your weary head, is the best part.

     Sometimes, feeling protected by yourself can be impossible when the insecurities and negatives are dense in the air. You can stare up at the ceiling with your covers clutched tightly to your chest, fear coursing through your veins and bones as you breath unevenly, the darkness creeping around you, dancing and taunting. Your breathing can pick up to an ungodly rate, your heart bounding beneath your chest as you coward with only your eyes peeking out from over the sheets. 

     The darkness can’t creep up on me, now that Harry is here. 

     My hands trace the outline of his collarbones as he breathes softly from beneath my head, his fingers making their own pattern against my cheekbones. Our eyes meet for a brief second, love and adoration easily seen in the exchange. A small tug of his lips perks his mouth up and he curls his fingers around the side of my neck, his rougher digits pressing into my skin. 

     “You’re so beautiful,” he murmurs, his green eyes sparkling as they dip down to gaze at my hand, which stops right on his sternum. 

      I could say the same thing about him; I had never seen someone so beautiful, so focused in just staring at one thing for hours on end. The details of Harry were so surreal. He seemed like a God, one that was so perfectly sculpted and made. His skin was soft underneath my fingertips and his chest rose evenly with every dignified breath he took. His eyes were a lazy glow, blueish grey specks left in his orbs, never leaving my body as he stared at me with a tiny small playing at the corners of his mouth. That mouth was so pink and full, plump and slightly swollen with wind whirling kisses. He was just so pretty, so beautiful, so gorgeous and laying in my bed, with his curls leaning back against a white satin pillow, his hands occupied on so many parts of my body with such feather-like touches. I wanted to burst with love. 

      Pressing a tiny kiss to his shoulder, I sigh into his skin, which smells of left over cologne and laundry. “You make me feel beautiful.” 

     Harry’s fingers lace with mine. His fingers are much bigger, rougher, and more slender. They overlap mine, making me feel safe in his touch and embrace. I know nothing can hurt me whenever I’m with him. He would never let anything hurt me. He promised he would never let anything hurt me. 

      “No, I’m pretty darn sure you were beautiful when I first met you, too.” 

     With a smile on my lips, I rest my chin on his stomach and stare up at him, my blue eyes meeting his sparkling green ones. He watches me for a few moments, his free hand tangling his fingers freely and shamelessly into my hair. That smile finds its way back up to his lips, lighting his features, giving off this glow that I wish I could stare at for the rest of my life. It was so captivating. He was so captivating. 

     It’s a few moments before either of us move again, and when we do, our lips meet in a sweet kiss. He tastes of mint toothpaste and my bed. His arms around me feel strong, protectively holding me to his chest as he rotates his hand through my locks over and over again, his fingers simultaneously massaging my scalp. 

     So blissful — this is all so blissful and I never want to let go of it. 

     “We should sleep,” I manage to get out, my voice coming out slightly hoarse from the kisses (or lack of, since I was craving for more). I run my fingers over the slight stubble on his jaw and chin, a content sigh coming out of my mouth. “Will you stay the night?” 

     The question is softly spoken, which makes Harry’s eyebrows raise. He cups my jaw in his warm hand, pressing another kiss to my lips before he settles his arm around my shoulders, the crook of his elbow cradling the back of my head. 

     When he speaks, his voice is just as soft. “Why wouldn’t I?” 

     That is what makes me feel safe. It’s the fact that I know he’ll be staying the night, a security blanket for me and my rest. I smile then, a real smile that spreads wide across my face before I reach over his glowing face and flicker off the lights, resting back down on his chest. 

     My eyes are tired and Harry’s chest is raising under my head, his fingers knotting themselves into my hair. Neither of us is saying anything and we don’t have to, but his occupation is making my eyes flutter shut with the knowing of being safe, of being protected, like nothing can touch me, except for Harry’s whispered kisses against my head. 

     “Sleep now,” a whisper went into my ear, lips grazing against my earlobe before tiny kisses were pressed next to and below my jaw, “I love you.”  

     Cloud nine is a beautiful thing. You feel like you’re sky high, on top of the world and looking down on those who aren’t as happy as you. For that moment, you feel bad for everyone who has never experienced love. Love is nearly impossible to beat. It’s the emotion of curled toes, star gazing eyes and true personalities and feelings. 

     And love is a beautiful thing, when you close your eyes and see something other than darkness: you dream of him.