Chapter 1: Tavern Brawl

Loud laughter filled the tavern as a small crowd gathered around the table.

"Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!" the crowd chanted.

At the table sat: a goliath who wore only trousers and a pelt covering his lower torso, displaying his bare chest and a set of dark markings that ran from his waist up to his head; three half-elves, two of which were nearly identical, save for the fact that one was a man dressed mostly in black while the other was a woman dressed in blue and with a feather of the same color tucked behind her pointed ear; a white haired gnome and a tiefling of pale skin, obsidian black hair and teal eyes. Each of them was holding a tankard of ale as they downed the alcohol. Two others were sat slightly off to the side, an aeormaton wearing black robes, head covered by a slightly torn red hood, and a white haired human dressed in a blue trench coat. Both of them were watching the others in silence.

Suddenly, the goliath slammed his tankard on the table and stood up with a grin.

"Yeah! That's right! Who's the best?" he shouted victoriously while flexing his muscles.

"And Grog wins." the aeormaton announced.

"Again." the man beside him added, taking a sip from the glass of wine in his hand.

The male half-elf groaned and dragged his hand down his face.

"Oh, fuck me. Why do we always play drinking games with a guy twice our size?"

"Because it's the fastest way to get drunk, obviously." his female counterpart replied with a smirk.

The third half-elf, a woman dressed in green and with bright ginger hair, slumped forward while slightly leaning onto the tiefling for support.

"Who's drunk? Not me, I'm great!" she slurred.
"I think we should go to another... another..."

Before she could finish her sentence, her stomach got the best of her, causing her to turn to the side and empty its contents onto the tavern floor.

"Easy there, Keyleth. Take it slow. One ale is still a lot for inexperienced drinkers." the tiefling said as she patted her back.

Keyleth eventually managed to get the situation back under control. Though not everyone seemed to be as understanding as her tiefling friend.

"Ugh. Watch it, bitch!" a large half-orc, said as he walked past, shoving Keyleth to the side.

The tiefling gritted her teeth and her muscles tensed up, readying herself to pummel the half-orc into the dirt.

"Hey! You watch it, dick nose!" Grog fired back.

"Easy, Grog. We don't waste our time on talking assholes, remember?" the gnome told him.

As she spoke, she grabbed onto the tiefling's wrist, giving her a stern look. The tiefling sighed and turned back to her own table.

"Oi, tavern keep! Another round for Vox Machina, the greatest band of mercenaries in all the realm." the female dark haired half-elf called out.

The half-orc from earlier began to laugh as he heard this.

"The greatest? I heard you couldn't even rescue a cow from a burning barn."

The others at his table quickly joined in on the laughter.

"Vox Machina, what a fucking joke!"

The twins shared a look before the man walked up and stuck a dagger in the half-orc's table.

"Let's keep things civil, friend. We're not looking for trouble." he said.

The half-orc stood up and grabbed the half-elf's tunic