Chapter 3: Check

"It took me years to remember it

 "It took me years to remember it. I'm really sorry."

ꨄ︎ꨄ︎ꨄ︎

Hiyori walked out of her apartment and headed to the diner to tell them where she is going.

After the date the other day, the girls asked her nonstop about it. Even Yamato and the other guys can't squeeze anything out of Cobra. The blonde will just give them a cold glare and will not say anything.

As for Hiyori, even though she wasn't going to tell anything to them, she will give up eventually by their continuous nagging. They were successful as the girl spilled some things that happened on their first date. Of course, she left the sweet moments behind. It will be for only her and Cobra. That was their moments together and only to them alone.

The girl pushed the front door open making the bell chime above. She walked towards the counter where Yamato, Noboru, and Cobra are sitting down on the barstool.

"Hey, I'm going out," Hiyori told them making the trio snap their heads towards her. Naomi who is behind the counter smiled at the girl.

"Alright, what time are you coming back? Let's have dinner together," Naomi asked.

"Oh, maybe I'll be back by 7. Then, we can have dinner," Hiyori told her. She shifted her attention towards the guys and smiled at them.

"Well, I need to go so I can go home early," she said. She stepped closer to Cobra who is sitting not far from where she stood. Beside him is Noboru and on Noboru's side is Yamato.

Cobra immediately wrapped his arm around her waist and Hiyori kissed his cheek. "I'll see you guys later."

As she walked out of the diner, she can hear snickers that definitely came from Yamato.

• • •

Hiyori bought a bouquet of lilies that was Shoko's favorite and proceed to go to the cemetery. It wasn't that difficult to find their graves as she just spent five minutes looking for them. Hiroto's directions are clear and easy to understand.

She crouched down as she looked at the graves of Amamiya Sosuke and Shoko. She placed the lilies on the ground as she finally took a seat on the ground with her legs crisscrossed.

"Hey, Mom, Dad," she mumbled as she tried to talk to her deceased parents. She cleared her throat as she noticed her tears are going to spill out of her eyes.

"I'm sorry that I only visited you right now," she said as her voice broke. "You see, I lost my memory and I couldn't remember anything. It took me years to remember it. I'm really sorry."

The girl choked a sob and covered her mouth as she cried.

"I—I'm doing good. I met Hiro-nii and Masa-nii already. But we still couldn't find Takeru-nii. He's... I don't know. They said he just went missing."

"Oh, and when I ran away that night, someone found me and took me in. He was a really nice person. His name is Yoichiro and I called him grandpa. H—he was gone now but I am fine because there are still people who are with me. I basically grew up with them and I treat them as my family."

"They're really nice people and one of them is my boyfriend. I'll take him here when I get the chance." The girl smiled as she wiped the tears that stained her cheeks. She sniffled and let out a shaky breath.

"I missed you, Mom and Dad. I—I'm so sorry I couldn't do anything. And thank you, for everything. I'm so glad I have you as my parents," she sobbed and covered her mouth. Her shoulders are shaking as she cried her heart out.

Maybe it was really late, but she finally get to mourn for her parents and that day, she cried until there are no tears that can be spilled anymore.

After an hour that she had calmed down, Hiyori left and made her way to another cemetery. This time it was in Sannoh's. Her grandfather, Yoichiro, is resting in a place for former soldiers and policemen.

The girl stopped midway as she saw someone standing in front of her grandpa's grave. The man doesn't look familiar but she figured that it was someone who knew her grandpa.

"Excuse me?" she muttered as she walked closer. The stranger turned to face her. She looked at him and squinted her eyes as she stared at the man with long hair. "Do you know my grandfather?"

The stranger took a step backward and let the girl see her grandfather's grave.

"I do, actually," he replied and put his hands on his black trench coat's pocket.

"Oh, how did you meet him?" Hiyori asked as she stepped forward and put a bouquet of flowers in front of Yoichiro's grave.

"I didn't really get the chance to meet him," the stranger replied making Hiyori whip her head in his direction.

"What do you mean?"

"He was already gone when I was finally going to meet him." Hiyori nodded slowly in understanding. So, the stranger knew her grandpa but did not get the opportunity to meet him in person.

"I see. Uh, my grandpa doesn't mention anyone that he knows from the past. I'm Hiyori, what's your name, sir?"

The man stared at her for a second before pulling an envelope out of his pocket. He gave her a small smile as he handed her the small white envelope. The girl hesitantly took it from his hand.

"What is this?" she asked.

"Just a small thank you. Your grandfather did a lot for me," the guy told her. She stared at the white envelope for a few seconds before looking back at the strange man but he was gone in front of her. Instead, she found him walking away already.

"I didn't get his name," she muttered as she stared back at the white envelope and then to her grandpa's grave.

The girl sighed as she carefully tear the envelope open and found a small rectangular paper.

It was a check.

With a hundred thousand yen.

Hiyori's mouth went agape as she stared at the big sum of money that she is currently holding.

What did his grandpa do to that guy to give him that kind of amount?

The girl widened her eyes at the name in the check. Her heart beats fast like it was chasing a freaking kangaroo.

The girl trembled as she stared at the name as if she misread it. But it still was the same.

Amamiya Takeru was written in Kanji.

Then, she gasped as she remembered the necklace that the strange man wears. It was a silver necklace that looked like a crescent moon pendant. No wonder it was familiar!

That stranger guy, it was Takeru.

Her oldest brother.

She immediately ran in the direction he went but the guy had already disappeared into thin air. He was already gone. She breathed out a frustrated sigh.

"Why did you suddenly leave, Takeru-nii?" she muttered a question and looked at the place everywhere as she was hoping that her brother is still there.

But he wasn't.