chapter 9 (aka and the salt behind you)

word count: 3400 words

Hospitals are oddly comforting to me

The usual pounding anxiety in my head subsides, and if I close my eyes and try hard enough, the beeping of the machines can sound like chirping birds, and the lukewarm air blowing out of the vents a warm breeze.

If I imagine, my hospital bed can feel like a poolside chair on a tropical island.

Enough with the hospital tangent, even though it really is fucking true. (Try it yourself! All you need is a kidney infection from not peeing for 3 days and then there will be no need for a Hawaii trip this year)

Speaking of trips (see what I did there?) Fezco still hadn't texted Eleanor. I have this theory that he secretly is in love with her, but he has no fucking idea how to act.

Fezco has never truly loved anyone besides Ashtray and his grandma. But the way he acts around Eleanor, the fucking look in his eyes and the way he gets all flustered, fuels my theory even more.

And I think the only way he can deal with that feeling is to shut it down completely, much to my dismay (Feleanor will happen one day, wether they like it or not)

Eleanor was still fucking sad about it, but I, being the fucking amazing person I am, decided to reach out after my whole hospital visit. (Became friends, talked shit about Nate, talked about Jules, and avoided the topic of Fezco entirely)

But no amount of late night rom-coms and Ben and Jerry's containers were fixing her, so I took matters into my own hands.

I made her go to the winter formal, made her pick out a dress with Maddy, made her do something other than wallow in her self pity.

Good idea? Maybe not. But fuck it, is anything fun ever a good idea?

"You look so fucking cute, holy shit!" Eleanor's face flushed as Jules took in her outfit, hands flying up to her face in excitement. "You look so cute, and I literally love it," She exclaimed, reaching out one of her hands to stroke Eleanor's dress.

"You look really pretty too," Eleanor giggled, the mixture of orange Gatorade and Everclear she had drunk in the car on the way there already working it's magic.

She wasn't lying though, Jules looked like a mermaid mixed with a giant, towering over Eleanor, even in her heels.

"Don't you think Rue looks cute in her dress!" Jules said, and Eleanor looked at Rue's outfit for the first time that night. She did look good, but the discomfort was visible on her face.