Chapter 8: Moving Forward

"I lost my brother."

ꨄ︎ꨄ︎ꨄ︎

When they all calmed down and the rain stopped pouring, the two brothers told their little sister that they were going to let the Kamizono group pay for what they did.

"No," her voice cracked. The sun is beginning to rise. It was already morning when they sent Takeru's body into the morgue and will be preparing a proper burial later on.

"We need to do this, you know that," Hiroto told her as he put his hands on her shoulders. He can feel how the girl is scared. They can't just sit around and do nothing for their brother.

"I know," she said in almost a whisper. The girl looked down at her feet and tried not to cry once again.

"We'll be back," Masaki said as he gently raised her head to look at him and hugged the girl. She let out a low whimper but did not protest. 

"Don't do anything that you might regret later on," Hiyori tells Masaki as she looked at him in the eyes. The older Amamiya did not say anything as he turned his body and walked toward his bike.

"Hiro-nii," she looked at him with pleading eyes. Hiroto hugged her and gently patted her head.

"I'll take care of it, don't worry," he told her as they finally hopped on their bikes and took off.

Hiyori was left standing outside the funeral home with Aika.

She shakily let out a sigh until Furuno with her white van picked them up.

After half an hour of a silent ride, they reached Sannoh. Furuno stopped the van in front of the diner and opened the backseat of the van only to see that Hiyori was sleeping. She sighed and looked at her in sympathy.

The hacker walked towards the diner and luckily for her, Yamato and the others are there early in the morning as they couldn't get to sleep, not even a wink. They are still in shock at the information they got and also worried about Hiyori who didn't go home that night.

"Hey," Furuno said as she entered. They all looked at her. "Can you get Hiyori-san? She's sleeping inside my van and I don't really want to wake her up."

"I'll go get her," Cobra said and stood up. Furuno nodded as she followed Cobra outside.

The blonde opened the van and found the girl sleeping. Her clothes are disheveled and covered in a few specks of dirt. Nevertheless, she's fine. As Cobra got her out of the van, she stirred awake.

"Hey," Cobra whispered as she carried her bridal style. He noticed the tired look on her eyes but she still let out a soft smile and then closed her eyes as she went back to sleep. He noticed how her eyes are swollen and her cheeks are red with dried tears.

He frowned and looked at Furuno. The latter sighed and shook her head.

"Takeru's gone," she sadly said and looked at the Hoodlum Squad leader.

Cobra looked at her in shock and then at Hiyori as she held the sleeping girl closer to him.

• • •

Hiyori woke up in her bed that night, she was still in her clothes from yesterday's events. She immediately stood up and sighed as she made her way to the bathroom.

She took a quick shower and changed her clothes. She suddenly stopped walking when she heard a noise from the kitchen. She walked outside of her room and to the kitchen where a familiar blonde is standing in front of the stove as if he was cooking something. She's facing his back so Cobra didn't notice that she entered the room.

"Cobra?" she called. The blonde turned around and looked at her. He turned off the stove and walked toward her.

"Hey," he softly greeted as he gently gave her a soft kiss on the forehead. The girl immediately leaned into the touch.

"Your brothers were here... they are asking how you're doing. The USB flash drive... they said it was safe." Cobra looked at her face to check her reaction.

The girl just nodded slowly as she walked towards the kitchen counter and sat down on a barstool.

"They said to tell you... that they will hold the funeral tomorrow," Cobra added. The girl stopped and stared into the distance.

"Okay," she quietly responded as she pressed her lips into a thin line.

"Do you want me to go with you tomorrow?" Cobra asked and she gently shook her head.

"I'll ask them to just come and pick me up," she said. Cobra sighed and nodded in understanding.

Cobra walked closer to her and cupped both of her cheeks.

"You know I'm always here," he reminded her.

"I know. I just... needed some time alone," she whispered and lean into the touch. 

The girl let out a shaky breath, "I lost my brother."

Her voice broke as she tried hard not to cry again. But she couldn't as she let out a choked sob.

Cobra immediately hugged the girl and caressed her hair for comfort. "I just regained my memories and finally meet him after all those years, but they took him away from me."

Tears spilled out her eyes once again as she sobbed. Cobra tightened his jaw in anger.

He was angry that Kuryu took someone away from them once again.

"I don't want to lose anyone again. I just—" she hiccupped. "I don't want to lose you, too."

She shook her head and wiped the tears away from her eyes. 

"You will not. You're not going to lose me," Cobra told her as he pulled away from the hug and look straight into her eyes. Cobra took her hands away from her face as he let himself wipe her tears instead.

He put his hands on her shoulders. "You're not going to lose me and I am not going to lose you either. You're stuck with me forever."

She let out a soft sad smile as Cobra smiled back at her.

The girl felt a bit relaxed as always when she was with him. It kept her sane despite all the things that just happened to her.

She has to be strong and keep on living just like what Takeru told them. There are still people who she needs to protect, the people that cared for her and one of them is standing in front of her.

She has to keep on living for them, for him.

It wasn't the end for Hiyori as she's still alive and breathing.

It was really not the end for all of them.

It was only the beginning of the real fight.

Amamiya Takeru made the first move, and the rest is up to them. 

END OF ACT THREE