Chapter one

I jump abruptly as I hear a knock on the door. " Who is it?" I ask as I was not expecting anyone. " Just me miss, may I come in?" I hear my guard Cole ask " one second'' I say getting up to open the door for him. I wonder why he's here? '' Is there something I can do for you Cole?" I ask curiously. " Not for me mam but Mr. Romano would like to see you in his office in the west wing." Cole said. The smile I had on my face was now filled with fear. What did I do ? I've been quiet and done the few duties I've been asked to do. I look up and give Cole my best fake smile. " Well, I probably shouldn't keep him waiting." I say trying to cover up the fear that's building in me. Cole nods his head and leaves my room. I straightened up my clothes and slowly made my way down the many long cold corridors to the west side of the mansion. Once I'm in front of his office door I take a deep breath. And lift my hand about to knock but before my knuckles touch the old wooden door. I hear my. Father say " come in Sofia." all of the courage I had been trying to build up on my way here was now gone. I open the door and look into the dimly lit office seeing my father and some men talking around a table drinking and smoking cigars. I shut the door behind me making the room fall silent and all of the men turned their heads looking at me. Father looked at me with his eyes burning into mine as he lifted up his hand signaling me to take a seat at the table. I walk over to the table and sit next to my father at the head of the table.

"Sofia, I would like you to meet Mr.Diez ,Mr.Montoya, and Mr. Intermen there proving to be quite useful so you'll be seeing more of them" father boomed with his loud voice . I shook hands with all the men still curious why I was here. I pretend to ignore the feeling of his eyes piercing my soul. Father often does things like making sure I am perfect and I have a couple of clues on why he is so upset with me, along with some of the reasons he might hold me to such high standards. My brother Alexander always told me that Father dislikes me because I look almost identical to mom when she was younger. "Sofia, were you listening?!" My father said in a strict tone.

I look up to him, my eyes trying to look anywhere but his. I stare with anticipation as I can hear the silence. I slowly start to fiddle with my fingertips. " n-no I
wasn't I'm sorry Father." Father's gaze worsened by the second. It's as if you could see the rage coursing through his crimson veins. "Fine."he said. His voice echoed through the office. "I'll explain it one more time, no more than that, '' he says strictly. "You have been assigned a mission in Italy. Your attendance is acquired at the winter ball. The ball is being held by the Reins this year." he slowly takes the cigar out of his mouth and lets the smoke leak from his lips. His face slowly tensed after even mentioning the Reins. Our families have a tensioned alliance between mafias, but we don't talk often.i've never actually met the family but I've heard gruesome rumors especially about their son Arron. After all he did earn the nickname the Devil. "Why is my attendance needed for the ball Father, I know your alliance is unstable. That could not only put me in risk but also your alliance if anything were to happen. "I stated calmly as to not increase tension. I have to ask or state such things carefully. I wouldn't want things to escalate, ending such as it did last time. I will only ever make that mistake once, after that never again . Him screaming and throwing the fine dining ware at the wall blaming my mother's death on me and telling me how much of a failure I am in his eyes but that wasn't the worst of it. The thought of being thrown in the basement and left there in a cell for a week sent shivers down my spine.

I will never forget the screams and cry's i heared. from the cells next to mine as they were slowly torcherred to death.Only few actually live and make it out of here but i can only imagine what happpens to them when there bosses find out.Between the almost constant torture and freezing temperatures, that create an ice cold sheet on the stone brick, not many can take that kind of treatment for to along. Eventually the body gives your soul up, to the sky above. They stop caring, they stop thinking, they will stop breathing in the passing minutes after. I have seen this cycle on repeat on Father's order. I snap back to reality when i Hear Father begin to speak again.

"I ask you to follow my instructions, I need to see your worth for this family. I want you to watch the Rides youngest son, Noah Reid. In two weeks time I want him dead. You will create a plan, and follow through showing your worth and dedication you are willing to put into this family. You will leave tomorrow morning and arrive late into the evening. I have arranged your stay, and protection as needed. ". Father states while putting a shot glass of bourbon up to his lips and smirking. "You should know now that this is your only chance to prove that you are worth it. NO FUCKING IT UP! Or else you have something coming for you, isn't that right Mr.Interman." he spat with the same crooked smirk on his face and cigar in his mouth. Mr. Interman shook his head, placing a book of papers back on the table.

" Well this was a nice chat Sofia but I think we're done here." He said dismissing me. waving his hand to the guards in the room signaling to allow me to leave. Not giving me a chance to answer. The guards nod their heads. They opened the door, allowing me to exit his office. I was completely traumatized just left. Their with no plan.

The same few thoughts ran through my head as I walked back to my room to pack. How am I going to pull this off, I've never had this big of a mission, so much is on the line if I fail. As I continue down the dark hallway, Alexander runs to catch up with me. He saw my face and asked what happened in Father's office. I shrugged him off and continued walking in silence. He told me that whatever it was that It couldn't be that bad compared to the stuff Father asks him to deal with. I simply stopped walking and glared at him. I wanted to explain so badly but it was as if my body was telling me not to. I looked back down and he asked me once more for a final time what happened. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I looked back up at him as a tear rolled down my cheek," Well, father is sending me off to Italy to assassinate Noah Reid, the youngest son. I have no plan and no time to take action. I leave tomorrow." I say as calmly as possible trying to hold my composure. " If I fail.." I make direct eye contact with him and continue, " Mr. Interman controls my punishment, and I have an idea of what he's thinking." I looked back down, starting to walk away. I left Alexander there shocked with nothing to say. I couldn't waste anymore time talking. I needed to start packing. When I get to my room the only thing I can do is slide down the door and cry. I can't stop thinking about all the ways this could fail miserably. I only have eleven hours till tomorrow morning. I glanced up, wiping my tears, remembering I have one person who I could call to help me. Greyson Asher.