Chapter One

𝐇𝐚𝐳𝐞𝐥 𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐚 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤
July 16, 2013
An Orphanage in Eastern Europe

𝐇𝐚𝐳𝐞𝐥 𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐚 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤July 16, 2013An Orphanage in Eastern Europe

"Hazel?"

"Hazel?"

"That child must be cursed!"

"What is wrong with you?"

"Hazel?"

"No one wants a devil like you!"

Stop.

"No wonder your here, I wouldn't want you either"

Please stop.

"There is no other way!"

"HAZEL, PLEASE-"

Hazel gasped, shooting up into a sitting position. Her hand clutched at her chest desperately. Black hair stuck to her face that damp with sweat. Her chest heaved in response to her desperate breathing. It was as if she had been strangled and her lungs had been crushed.

This wasn't the first time she had such nightmares. In fact, they had become common.

As Hazel's breathing slowly became even, she removed the blankets that seem to be trapping her body.

She crawled from the old and rickety bed as quietly as possible before walking her way to the bathroom. She crossed her fingers that the wooden floor wouldn't creak under her weight. The other members of her dorm probably wouldn't want to be woken up at such an unreasonable hour.

Not that she really cared for their opinion. She just didn't want them to see her in a moment of vulnerability.

She got to the bathroom and rested her hands on the porcelain sink that was covered in scratches and indents. If she had to guess, it was probably older than her.

As she looked up at her expression, she frowned. Her lips were pale and chapped. Her jet black hair stuck up in many different spots and was probably tangled. Her ice-blue eyes that were splattered with grey glared back at her.

It was truly astonishing how different she and Maeve appeared despite being twins. She brought a hand to her throat, trying to soothe it by gently rubbing.

Hazel gave another frown before turning on the tap just enough that the water quietly ran from the faucet. She splashed the cold water across her face in an attempt to calm down.

It was just a bad dream. That's all...

Although, just thinking about the dream made her relive all of the horrible things she had experienced in the dream. The names, the screams, the anger, and the fear.

She felt her heart rate pick up again before the poor lighting in the bathroom began to flicker in and out.

Hazel's eyes widened and quickly began to try and calm her racing heart. She shakily tried to control her breathing and watched as the flickering dimmed and settled.

Things like that always happened when she became upset or had any out-of-control emotion. Things that you'd only see in the suspenseful moments in bad horror movies.

This resulted in her and Maeve becoming outcasts to the rest of the orphanage. Bullied and mistreated by even their caretakers.

That was one reason they had yet to be adopted. Every time someone would come looking to adopt, the caretakers convinced them we were unruly monsters. After they had grown past a certain point, no one was really interested in adopting them anyhow.

So here they were, stuck in this dreadful, dull orphanage for the foreseeable future.

Hazel wasn't sure about herself, but she knew in her heart that Maeve deserved so much better. Deserved a family that loved and cherished her.

She didn't know who her biological parents were, but part of her wished she never would. They didn't want her and Maeve, so why should she want them?

No, after abandoning them here, they were practically unforgivable. Even if they wanted to be a part of their lives now, after all this time, Hazel isn't sure she'd actually want her parents around.

Maeve didn't deserve the emotional whiplash of her long-lost family suddenly wanting her back.

Hazel knew Maeve would forgive them despite their hand in her very traumatic childhood. That was just who she was. That wasn't who Hazel was, though. She'd hate them enough for the both of them.

With a small sigh, Hazel reached for the brush resting on the shelf next to the sink.

She gently brushed the knots and tangles from her hair and unstuck the hair from her face.

Her dark black hair fell over her shoulders with a small wave. She gave a small huff as she set back down on the shelf. Her hair was always a struggle to tame. Most of the time, she let her hair win without much of a fight.

With one last look at her reflection, Hazel left the dorm bathroom. She closed the door as silently as possible before sneaking back over to her bed.

Hazel lifted the old faded covers and slipped inside. They weren't anywhere near her favorite color but they were better than nothing she supposed. Even though they were littered with holes and stains far before they were given to Hazel to be used, she knew better than to complain. She didn't want to have to sleep on the floor because of angering the caretakers.

As she sunk down into her deflated pillows, she gave one look over to the clock on her bedside table.

3:17 a.m.

She sighed heavily, knowing it was too early to stay awake but too late to get proper sleep.

Hazel rolled over in a desperate attempt to find some comfort on her old rickety bed.

Her mind wondered to what the day ahead may hold, but it didn't linger for long. She knew better than to make childish hopes. If she was being honest, all she'd probably do is the everyday chores while she tried to avoid the pieces of garbage that lived here with her.

However, never in Hazel's wildest dreams would she ever dream of what was to happen the next day.