eighteen.

..⃗.  [i know the end] 𑁍ࠜ ・゚ˊˎ

╰┈➤ ❝ [you wrap your name tight around my ribs and keep me warm

╰┈ [you wrap your name tight around my ribs and keep me warm. i was born for you.]
╰┈benjamin alire sáenz

SHE HAD NEVER WANTED TO LEAVE SOMEWHERE MORE THAN THIS PLACE. Her heart raced and her hands grew sweaty. Even from backstage, she could hear the crowd outside talking amongst each other. Running a hand through her hair, she sighed. "Calm down," she muttered to herself as she paced back and forth, "all you have to do is go out there, shake her hand, smile and wave. That's it. You can do that." Biting her bottom lip, she felt her stomach flipping in on itself. She should've known a crowd this big would show out. She was sure that, even if Don had lived, Bella might've won. The city loved her. They revelled in her no bullshit attitude. She admired it, she had to admit.

A small body slammed into hers, thin arms wrapping around her waist. Looking down, she smiled at the small form of Tim. "Hey, bud." She greeted the boy, her own arms wrapping around him. His mother slowly followed behind, joining them at the side of the stage. "Hey, Marie. How've you guys been?"

The woman offered a forced smile. "We've been better... just trying to get by, y'know." Siobhan nodded, understanding completely. "I'm so sorry about your parents. I meant to call you, but we've been so busy..." She trailed off, a frown playing on her features. The frown lines at the corners of her lips were deep from use.

Siobhan waved off the woman's worries. "I understand. To be honest, I haven't been feeling very social so I probably wouldn't have answered anyway." She chuckled politely, looking down as Tim pulled back from the hug. His hand slid into hers, squeezing it tight. "What about you, Timbo? Do anything fun recently?"

He shrugged his shoulders before shaking his head. "Do you think the Batman will be here tonight?"

Marie rolled her eyes, groaning quietly. "That's all he's talked about since Don. He's been obsessed."

With a soft chuckle, Siobhan turned her attention back to Tim. "I doubt it, bud. He's probably got a lot on his plate tonight." The boy visibly deflated, a small frown playing on his lips.

"Are you giving a speech? I know Bella wanted to bring us out to offer her condolences. Is she doing the same with you?" Marie asked.

Siobhan shook her head. "I told her I'd donate to get some projects off the ground. I think she just wants to thank me. Figured I should show that I'm still alive... sort of."

Marie nodded. Her expression was one of empathy, a total understanding. The two women had lost so much in the past week. Born with pain and made to carry it their entire lives, she thought. It wasn't fair that they had to deal with the fallout of their loved ones' actions. The bearer of all consequences, women were. A soft sigh escaped Siobhan's lips as she turned back towards the mayor-elect. "She'll be a good mayor." Marie spoke, taking a step forward to stand next to the woman. "Better than Don, that's for sure."