Home Sweet... Home?

As the elder siblings of the family, Tanjiro and I try to take on most of the work. We try to help our mother and siblings around the house by doing chores, cooking meals, babysitting, and more.

"(Y/N), can you handle making dinner today, love?" mom asks. "Of course, mother." I smile as I prepare the kitchen to cook. She ruffles my hair and goes into her room. "Tanjiro, can you help me out a bit?" I call. Tanjiro comes into the room with his hair a mess. "Sure, sis. What do you need?" he yawns.

"Oh, did I wake you? You can just go back to sleep." I offer. I turn my back to him and continue to prepare. "No, that's alright. Let me help you," he says. "Well, if you insist," I say. "Just stir those ingredients into that bowl for me, please." He quickly obeys and stirs. About 30 minutes later, we set the table and called our family for dinner.

Tanjiro, Nezuko, Takeo, Hanako, Shigeru, Rokuto, Mom, and myself begin to eat. Our large family eats and shares stories of our day. After eating, I clear the table and go into my room. I plop onto my futon and read a book.

Two hours later, Tanjiro walks in. "Hey, I'm going into town to sell some charcoal." I sit up. "Oh, I'll come with you, Tanji." We walk out and both grab our baskets. Mom comes out with a cloth. "You both have soot on your face." She says. She gently wipes my face with a soft, warm smile.

"It's dangerous with all this snow," Mom warns. "You don't have to go, you know." Tanjiro chuckles as Mom wipes his face. "I want everyone to eat their fill this New Year's, so I'm going to sell as much charcoal as I can!" he claims.

I look at my little brother in awe. "You're so noble, Tanji," I giggle. "But this stuff won't sell itself! Let's go! Bye, Mom!" I grab his hand and we run down the mountain. As we slow down, we see Nezuko with Rokuto on her back. She was putting him down for a nap, so he didn't make a scene when we left. I put my hand on her shoulder. "Thanks, Nezuko," I say.

"We should get going," Tanjiro says. "Alright, bye!" Nezuko says and we continue to walk.

"We're almost there," Tanjiro says. As we walk into the small town, we're greeted by the townspeople. We sell our charcoal and peer into some shop windows. "Ooh! Look at that beautiful comb!" I coo. The comb sits in the window of a small shop. It's embedded with red flowers and diamond-like gems. The gold-colored metal shines in the snow and sunshine.

Tanjiro looks at me, entranced by the desire in my eyes

Tanjiro looks at me, entranced by the desire in my eyes. "Hold this for me," he says. "Huh? Okay." He hands me his basket and walks into the shop.

He shortly walks out with a small paper bag in hand. "For you!" He says sweetly. He gives me a
closed-eyed smile and pushes the bag into my hands. "Tanjiro! Y-You could've used that money for yourself! Take it back!"

I try to give it back to him but he raises his hands to the sides of his head. "Nope! I got it for you! You deserve to have nice things!" He says. "Besides," he points to a sign by the door, "All Sales Final, sis." I playfully roll my eyes and hug him. "Thanks, kid." I thank him we start to head back home.