I: The Dawn

Children of the Light aren't brought into existence the way mammals birth their children. We never had mothers or fathers. We have never experienced the maternal cradle of a mother's arms, or giggled as we sat on our father's shoulders.

But it's alright, because we've always had each other. That was more than enough.

Our birth went like this: we were once stars, and then suddenly not. We were torn apart, becoming shards of luminous glass fluttering through the cosmos. We were caught by an intense pulling force coming from a planet.

Ley lines. Passageways that sucked new souls to its lands. We came tumbling towards the planet.

I remember the sound of a million small bells jingling as I hit the soft dunes of the Isle of Dawn.

Clink! Particles were beginning to bond together.

Clink! Those pairs were bonding.

Clink! I was being stitched and woven into a complex web of blood and nerves and bones.

I opened my eyes to the brilliant hues of amber spilling over the sweeping sands. I moved my hands to cup a handful of sand and let it strain past my fingers. Each granule tickled my soft skin, and they glittered in the light like a pool of dying stars.

I tilted my head back to gaze at the expansive sky crowning the desert. Millions of stars hung from the sky in the blazing dawn.

Imagine, these were the first things I set my eyes on.

I noticed a figure moving in the distance, making its slow way toward me. Scared, I looked around to find a place to hide. I realised that I was surrounded by desert. I looked back at the figure and registered that it was just a girl. She was tall and strangely beautiful, with silky silver hair that fell just past her shoulders. Something resembling an elegant white cape embroidered with gold draped her shoulders.

She kneeled down to take a closer look at me. She had strange gold triangles on her cheeks, and her big glowing eyes stared into my own.

"Welcome." she said with a kind smile on her lips. She offered me her hand. I took it and shivered against the warmth of her skin.

"Let me warm you up."

She helped me to my feet and took me into her arms, wrapping her cape around my small frame. It felt like a swarm of golden butterflies tickling my skin. I snuggled against her chest, comfortable and happy. Once I stopped shivering, she let go of me.

"Let's go home."

Home. That sounded nice.

We walked, hand in hand, along the glittering sands. We passed old boats casted away from the ocean, and played with friendly butterflies.

And that was how my life began.