one

prompt: charlie is watching the star player on the rugby team, nicholas nelson, do what he does best. pretend he isn't gay.

charlie
as my eyes trail nick's strongly built frame, i completely forget to listen to whatever tao is ranting about in my ear. not when i already have a much better thing to do, admire my straight boy crush.

i wouldn't exactly call him my crush, because i still need to remind myself that he's interested in girls, not small and weak boys like me. it's laughable to think he could like me, but sometimes we share these little moments, that i wouldn't mind living in forever.

the occasional glance, a small wave, a gesture to him i'm sure means nothing but it's enough to make me feel weak at the knees. his charming smile, eyes wandering all over me, all of his attention on me for just a few seconds, and yet it's still enough to make me fall head over heels.

"charlie!" tao shouted, snapping me out of my thoughts, god, i must be drooling by now. "have you been listening to me?" he asked, raising his voice with inquisitiveness. "maybe." i mutter, averting my eyes when he clicks his tongue, rolls his eyes and decides to talk to aled instead.

but, to my surprise, nick's attention wasn't on rugby anymore, it was on me again. i felt little flutters of butterflies crawl into my stomach as he waved at me, his chocolate eyes scanning my figure. that same familiar smirk accompanies them, sending shock waves through my body. how can one person be so perfect? i'm sat curled into a ball, my head resting on my knee. i offer a little wave back, and that satisfies him as he continues running around, doing god knows what.

it could be anything. he could be doing anything and i'd still be here, watching him like a predator stalks it's prey. although, i'm sure i could never kill and eat nick. maybe stalking will have to do for now.

harry wraps an arm over his shoulders, shouting some weird rugby chant that i didn't understand. nick's eyes avert back to me as he endures harry's singing. our eyes connect, and i shoot him a smile which he quickly returns.

"right, everybody inside now boys, lunch is over!" a teacher calls from behind me. aled stands up and dusts himself off before walking away. me and tao start to walk inside.

"is this the new normal?" he asks me, a playful tone in his voice. "you ogling your straight boy crush?"

"shut up." i laugh back, before feeling a tap on my shoulder, tao doesn't notice and walks on trying to catch up to isaac. and then i'm left there, standing face to face with nick nelson.

"hi."

"hi."

we spare a moment of silence, he hesitates, and then opens his mouth to speak again. i brace myself for what he's about to say next.

"stop staring at me, it's weird!"

"why are you staring at me?"

the possibilities are endless, and i try relax myself, blinking a few times our eyes meet again, and that gives him a random surge of confidence.

"do you want to go out with me?"