The darkest hour

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. if convicted the maximum sentence will be the death penalty." The judge reads, making tears spring to all of our eyes.

"Your honor, he's 17." JJ yells, standing up.

"Stop." Kie says.

"He's a kid!" I yell, standing up. "Are you kidding me?!"

"John B." Sarah says, standing up to run to him only to be stopped by an officer. Kie and I run up to them and pull Sarah back.

"Get your hands off of her." I spit, grabbing her arm and walking back. "Come on. Let's get out of this shit hole." I say, following after JJ and Pope.

We exit the court room still in shock over what happened. The death penalty? He's only 17 years old. Surely there's laws about that.

"Thank god the system works." Someone says.

"Justice is served."

"He had it coming."

"Is this a joke, are we in hell, or...?" Kie says, walking down the stairs.

"I should have never come home." Sarah says, wiping her face.

"They're gonna kill him guys. I know it." JJ says.

"So sorry for what you and your family have gone through. Thank god the system works." Someone says to my father and Rose. Did I mention they were here at court today?

"Can you please shut up? Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you." Kie yells, to my father. Honestly I'm glad she said it cause if she didn't I would have.

"He'll have his day in court, a jury will decide." A man says, making me snap.

"He shouldn't even be in court!" I yell, stepping forward. "You should dad, because you're a murderer!" I yell, pointing to him. I was done feeling sorry for him. "You have a lot of nerve showing up here!" I say.

"I know you're upset, sweetie, I understand that. But you and Sarah need to come home." He says, softly, looking around at the staring eyes.

"Rafe killed Peterkin!" I yell, loud enough so everyone can hear. I feel a rough hand grab my hand and look down to see my father had grabbed me. The pogues come rushing over as well as the police, but before they can do anything, I pull my arm out of his grip and step back before I punch him in the face. Kie steps forward to slap my dad but Shoupe grabs her arm, pulling her back. JJ and Pope leap forward, pushing the cops away from her, whilst I grab Kie.

"Muzzle your goddamn dog!" JJ yells. "Take the Kooks down for a change!"

"Do you wanna get arrested?" Shoupe asks. "Go home."