one.

He has not been the same ever since he got back from Klaus. Stefan no longer cared, he's withdrawn in his home, cooped and unable to show his face.

Damon calls her at the dead of the night.

"Have any luck?" Her footfalls echo through the silent house.

"I was wondering if your magical doppelganger powers would work."

Elena rolls her eyes, snatching the keys from the wooden holder.

"I'll be there in 5."

They both know it would. She knew she was still his girlfriend– they didn't exactly have the break-up talk yet, so they are technically still together and in love with one another.

But they clearly underestimated the forces of nature that are Stefan's feelings.

Elena wants to wipe the smug smirk off Damon's face.

"Come on, baby bro! If you don't stop sulking, I'll snatch Elena."

No response.

Damon takes a step closer, purposely trapping Elena in between the wooden door and his body.

"For real, this time."

They hear a grunt on the other side– a positive remark that Stefan is indeed still alive. The door clicks open and Elena, ever the worried girlfriend grasps the cool metal only to get transported to the front door of the boarding house.

"Damon!" She yells indignantly.

"Damon!" He mocks her, modulating his voice to suit Elena's high whine. "Look, Elena. I know you miss him but Stefan hasn't fed. In days . He's not exactly the handsome Stefan–"

She puts an arm on her hip, raising a brow. "Do you think I care if he looks like a desiccated corpse?"

Damon growls, "Stefan is not the most suitable company right now. He's hungry and will lunge at you the moment you cross that door."

"Fine!" Elena throws her hands in the air and then steps inside Damon's space, poking his chest with her finger. "But you have to call me the moment he's ready."

He nods and then shuts the door firmly in her face.

She does not receive calls after that.

Not a single call but a text.

I'll call you as soon as I can.

His promise comes in the form of himself at the porch, waiting. Elena jumps in his arms, smelling in his cologne and melts in his arms. She feels him freezing, not exactly sharing her enthusiasm over their reunion and the thought of it scares her– until he reciprocates. Pulling her in his strong arms, hands clawing at her back in desperation.

"Hi." She grins, peering up at his solemn face.

He does crack a smile once she tickles his stomach. "Hello."

Elena pouts, swinging her legs over his waist and straddling him. "That's all you're going to say to me?"

Stefan blinks, moving to rest his head at the headboard, propping his his elbow so he could be at eye level with her. He presses his palm to her cheek, gazing at her as if this is the last time she'll ever see him.