I Love You

TW: hints to suicide

"I love you."
Those three simple words changed everything. You were my best friend, my world. I would give up my life for yours. You said you would do the same but I see it was in a different way than me.
Those three words ruined us. I never saw your smile again. I never heard you laugh or call out my name ever again. All I got was a spared glance across the hall.
How did I fuck up this badly. Who knew you hated me so dearly for those three words. I'm sorry. I am. I wish we could go back to being us.
You were my world...but I guess I wasn't yours.

---

"I love you."
Why? Why did you have to say that? I was so ecstatic to hear you say that, but yet I knew there was no point. I gave you a smile and that was it. We never spoke again.
I feel your gaze across the hall, I spare a glance. That's all I can offer. How did we get here?
Oliver, my love, my light, I'm so sorry. I'm not strong enough to stand by your side. I don't deserve to call you mines.
Olive, you shine so bright. Don't let my selfishness put out your flame.

---

There's a girl by your side. She's new. I see the way she looks at you...and the way you look at her.
I don't get a view for long before someone stands in my way. Then there's darkness. You used to help with this. With them. You pushed them away, defended me. But now instead you stand with them. I can hear your laughter. I miss it.
But not like this, not laughing at me. I guess it simply wasn't meant to be, Ely.
I'm sorry.

---

The news hit me like a truck. Everything came to a standstill. I stared down the hall were you used to stand. You weren't there.
Everyone around me was laughing but I couldn't hear them. The world around me was muffled.
I failed to protect my light. Oliver, I failed you. I'm so sorry. You didn't deserve it.
I'm sorry I couldn't love you back.
"I love you..."