Truly Unshielded

My name is Shelby Sampson, and I was the victim of bullying. All throughout Middle School, High School, and college, I was called names, shoved, made fun of, the whole nine yards. But one fateful June morning, I was the victim of an unexplainably horrendous prank. After two years of silence, here I am, trying to explain the source of my fears, my insecurities, and my eventual strength. I hope this helps someone who is going through what I had to go through.

In Middle School and High School, I did what everyone else did, I tried to find out who I was. By the time college rolled around, I had a pretty good idea. I adored books and nature, and not much else. My friend group was small, only three friends, none of which were close, merely classroom colleagues. They knew how bad I was being bullied, so they decided to treat me to exactly what I needed: they offered to go on a camping trip with me for the weekend.

I was so overcome with excitement that I didn't even hesitate to say yes. I packed nothing but a few books I wanted to try and some snacks (as was my job). Alyssa brought the real food, while Lia brought the tent and the various gear we needed for a weekend getaway. We hiked for probably three or four miles into the woods before picking out the perfect spot. Flat for the tent, secluded, and just a ten minute walk to what we referred to as the "hidden lake", because we never knew about it and it didn't connect to any major walking paths.

We set up our stuff and went about doing all the things that made camping so great: swimming, board games, snacking, hiking, and most importantly, reading. In one day I was almost halfway through Stephen King's 'The Stand' (great book by the way).

On day two of our three day weekend, we all felt like doing our own thing. I felt like reading by the hidden lake, Lia felt like hiking up a nearby mountain, and Alyssa just felt like relaxing in the tent. So we all went our separate ways for the day, and as selfish as it sounds, this was the best part of the trip. I was completely alone, in the middle of a masterpiece of a book, and surrounded by the absolutely beautiful wilderness.

Given this great opportunity, I decided to try something I've never even thought of trying before: skinny dipping. I've always heard it was good for the skin, the mind, and the soul, and I thought I'd never get a better opportunity to see if that was true. So after a quick glance around to make sure Alyssa and Lia weren't around, I undressed and went for a swim. I can personally confirm that the rumors are true, it was the most relaxed I've ever been. After a while of just hovering by the shore, I decided to swim all the way across it (it isn't that large).

In the middle of the lake, there was simply nothing. No one shoving me against the wall and calling me names, no one yelling at me, no nearly impossible deadlines for essays, just, nothing. I was at complete peace.

After a good twenty minutes or so, I decided to take the swim back to where I started, and to continue my book. But when I was three-quarters of the way there, I saw Lia and Alyssa standing by my book... And my clothes.

I could see them, but I was still too far away to really hear them. I swam towards them as I watched them grab my book, my clothes, my sandals, even my towel. They both gave me a long, exaggerated wave, and simply walked away.

I was chuckling a bit, as I knew they were just joking with me. Who wouldn't take the opportunity for such a perfect prank? When I finally made it back to the shore I expected to see my stuff nearby, but I did not. I looked around from the edge of the water, but saw neither my stuff, them, or anything to cover myself with. After a long sigh, I got out of the water and began my walk back to the tent, no longer seeing the humor in the joke.

After ten minutes of trying to cover myself with my arms and hands while walking, I made it back to our campsite. I was silent and thoughtful when I saw that everything was gone. No tent, no backpacks, no books, and most importantly, no clothes. I did, however, notice a piece of paper on the large rock we used as a table, and gave it a read. Upon closer look, I noticed that it was the paper we used to keep score during cribbage, and that there was a message on the back. It simply said "You looked comfy out there, and we didn't want to disturb you. We're heading back home, so you have the place to yourself. Have a great time!" At the bottom of the paper was a quickly and poorly drawn evil smiley face with horns, obviously modeled based on the popular emoji →😈

So there I was, a socially anxious and awkward Accounting Major in the middle of the woods, at least three miles away from the nearest road, 100% bare. My best friends left me here, with literally nothing at all.

I tried to stay calm and think about what to do. It occurred to me that they could only have at most a 20 minute headstart on me, and they had a long way to go. I decided to run back to the car, hoping to get to them before they got to the car.

That was easier said than done, because running, let alone walking, through the woods while barefoot is incredibly painful and difficult. I knew I had to keep going at a constant and high pace, so I just had to live with the cuts and bruises on the bottom of my feet.

After probably a half hour or so, I realized that I might be too late. I was almost at the car, which was just parked on the side of a dirt road, and I still didn't see them. I picked up the pace, praying they would just be waiting around the car laughing. My prayers were partially answered.

After all that walking, I could actually see the bright orange Hatchback through the trees. I kept going, now slowing down because I was getting closer to a road, even though that road seemed to be seldomly used. Lia was in the driver's seat, and the car was running. Alyssa was leaning out the passenger side window, in my direction. They were both in tears from laughing so hard, and Alyssa felt the need to take a picture of me before Lia hit the gas and drove off, leaving a cloud of dust to surround my shocked and horrified face.

Now I really didn't know what to do. I waited in the bushes for another 20 minutes or so before I realized that they weren't coming back. I began weighing my options. I had no phone (again, literally nothing), and I only vaguely knew where I was. I knew that the road was far from frequently used, so I decided that I had no other choice but to start walking. I walked in the direction my ex-friends went, while staying right near the side of the road. I was hoping a car would drive by, so I could cover myself in the side-shrubbery while sticking my thumb up like a hitchhiker to get their attention.

After an hour or so of, you guessed it, walking, I heard a car coming my way. I enacted my plan. I hid behind a tree near the side of the road, and leaned out just enough to get the driver's attention. The car stopped, and the window rolled down. The driver, a hippie-ish looking girl, asked "Where ya headed?" I tried to respond in a way that didn't make me sound like an insane individual. I said "I've been separated from my clothes and my ride. I live in ----------, would you please drop me off there?" She looked horribly confused, and a little concerned. She said sure, but I had another favor. "Do you have a towel or a change of clothes?" She thought for a second, then remembered that she had a beach towel in the trunk.

So there I sat, in the back seat of a stranger's car, wearing nothing but a beach towel. She tried to make conversation, and I decided to go along with it. "Do you have a cell phone with you?" "Yep! Right here in my pocket, next to my change of clothes!" I know she was a little uneasy about the whole thing, but still, what a question to start with! After an hour ride back, she dropped me off right at my door. I offered to run in and grab her some cash for her efforts, but she insisted that she just wanted to help. I thanked her, and went inside.

I didn't talk about this to anyone, ever. I bottled it up. The worst part about this entire thing was that my best friends did it to me. Not some school bullies, but my only friends in the world. Alyssa moved away with her family to another school, but Lia stayed, and chuckled at me everytime we crossed paths in the hallways. After a growing sense of rage towards her over the coming weeks, I eventually returned the favor. When she was showering in the big shared bathroom, I ripped her out, shoved her into the hallway, and closed the door. As I held it shut, I heard her do something on the other side, apart from banging on the door: she teared up. I never did that when she left me there. I guess she's not as strong as I always thought she was. Not that that convinced me to open the door.

I was so humiliated by the entire thing, I felt small and weak. After all this time, however, I made a realization. I took a three mile hike/jog in the middle of the woods, by myself. I actually held a conversation with a stranger, which I'm usually never able to do. And I did all of it without hiding behind my dark and uninviting wardrobe. When your deprived of everything, you have only yourself. And if you're able to conquer your challenges with just yourself, then you come to understand that you're a lot stronger than you thought you were. I really hope this helps someone, thanks for listening.