four

• Sienna •

Sienna sat on the couch in her living room with Claire, the two of them watching some new show that had come out of Netflix. They hadn't spoken in a little bit, but they also weren't fully paying attention to the show. Claire had made her usual comment about Matt, Sienna had denied it, and then the two had fallen into a comfortable silence.

The house was quiet for a Saturday afternoon, Siennas mom had taken Tara and Kole with her to the grocery store, meaning that Sienna and Claire didn't have to hear the stomping that usually ensued when they were home. They didn't even mean to, that's literally just how they walk, but damn was it annoying.

"You're still good to give me a ride home on Monday, right?" Claire broke the long standing silence with her question, tearing Sienna's attention away from the screen. Despite her focus on the show, she still hadn't been able to figure out what was going on.

"Yeah, of course! Why?" The question wasn't something that Sienna thought her friend needed to ask, she gave her friend a ride home everyday.

"I just wanted to make sure. I mean I failed my road test yesterday so I wanted to make sure you still would." Sienna had completely forgotten that Claire had failed her road test. She couldn't judge, she, herself, had failed it twice, so Claire could still pass it in less tries than her.

Sienna hummed in acknowledgment, nudging her friend to try and bring her attention back to the show, which neither of them could figure out still. They were three episodes in and even the oldest characters seemed new.

The silence was finally interrupted about an hour later when the girls heard Sienna's mother pull into the driveway, their cue to go upstairs and avoid the inevitable stomping.

~~~

Sienna felt like she was about to piss herself. All
she wanted to do was go home, but Claire was taking forever to come to the front of the school to meet her. Sure, she could've just gone into one of the many bathrooms around the school, but she didn't feel like it when she could've been home by now. When Claire finally showed up, her friend dragged her out of the school.

"Woah, slow your horses. What's the rush?" Sienna finally wiggled her wrist free of Claire's hand and stopped.

"I just wanna get started on my homework." Sienna shot her a look, Claire never did her homework, and especially not right when she got home from school. "Okay fine, I just wanna get home before my mom so that she thinks I'm doing homework."

Sienna could buy that, so they kept walking. It wasn't until the reached the back of the parking lot that she noticed the large group of people standing around the car next to hers. "If they don't move I'm going to hit them."

Claire hit her shoulder and kept walking, too confident for Sienna's liking. At the last second before she could unlock her car, someone stepped in her way. "Hey Sienna."

"Hey Josh." She smiled at him, they sat next to each other in math so the spoke semi-frequently, but she didn't understand why he would be talking to her now. She noticed that Claire was no longer next to her, instead she had gone to stand with the group of people at the next car over, which she now recognized as Josh's car.

"Okay, so I was thinking..." Josh suddenly pulled a sign out from behind his back. "Maybe, we could go to the Winter Ball together?"

Sienna read the sign, it was a cheesy pun. I'd surely fall if we don't go to the ball. He had told her before that English wasn't his best subject, and the sign was proof of it, but it was definitely funny.

"Yeah! That sounds like a blast!" He opened his arms and she accepted the hug, taking the sign from him after they pulled away.

"Great! I'll text you and we can work out some more of the details?" Sienna nodded enthusiastically, smiling back him with a huge grin.

"Sounds good! I'll see you tomorrow?" After he'd confirmed that he'd be in math, the two parted ways and Sienna got into her car with Claire following closely behind her.

"You are a sneaky son of a bitch. You helped plan that, didn't you?"

"What can I say? I have a knack for the romantics." Claire shrugged, pulling on her seatbelt as Sienna turned on the car.

"You have to help me find a dress now."

~~~

Sienna couldn't figure out why she was so scared of telling Matt about Josh. She had no doubt that he would be happy for her, but something about it seemed bittersweet. She thought he would have known by now, she'd gotten texts from both Chris and Nick congratulating her. Even though she didn't understand why she needed to be congratulated for
it, she appreciated the gesture.

Even some people that she hadn't talked to since last year texted her about it, so how was it that her best friend didn't know? Was he mad that she wouldn't be going in a group with him like they had last year? If that was the case then why wasn't he talking to her?

She pushed all the thoughts of Matt out of her head and went back to looking at dresses online. The dance was still a month and a half away, but it took time to find the perfect dress. Especially when you have to coordinate it with your dates outfit.

When she told her mom that she had been asked to the dance, she had immediately assumed that it was Matt that asked her. Why does everyone think she and Matt are together? They don't act at all like a couple. Even Tara was confused when she clarified that she was asked by Josh.

Sienna decided to stop looking at dresses for the time being, it was just confusing her. When she picked up her phone, she saw that she had a text waiting for her from the man himself.

Josh: lemme know what color your dress is whenever you get it so i can get my tie
Josh: no rush tho :)

She smiled to herself, she wasn't sure if she could see herself dating Josh, but he would be at least be a  good date to a dance. He was really sweet too, and she enjoyed the conversations that they had in math. He also was not bad looking, she quite enjoyed the way that he did his hair.

God, why was she sitting her trying to convince herself that she liked Josh.