I

A/n: Hey everyone !!! This idea has been stuck in my head for ages and I finally got around to writing it !! This first chapter will just be a prologue of sorts, which is why it's kind of short. it'll be skimming over most parts of Reiko's journey to becoming a demon slayer, and hopefully it will pick up later !! I'll take any suggestions if you have ideas for future chapters tho :DD

hope you enjoy !! 

– eury

===

The moment Rengoku Reiko was born, Ruka breathed out a sigh of relief. Kyoujurou had looked like a carbon copy of her husband, and she had worried that her genes would be lost completely. The birth of her daughter brushed away those worries, with Reiko looking exactly like her, with her same dark hair and red eyes.

She caressed her daughter's small face, tiny fingers wrapping loosely around her fingers and Ruka smiled, a small, warm thing. She ushered over her husband, who was standing at the doorway holding the newborn Kyoujurou against his chest. The midwife cleaned Reiko as much as she could before passing her to her mother, where she held her daughter close to her chest. Shinjurou kneeled beside her and gave a watery smile, brushing a shaking finger against the young girl's face.

"She looks just like you, Ruka."

"To make up for the fact that Kyoujurou looks exactly like you. She took all my genes."

He gave a choked little laugh and gave his wife an affectionate kiss on her forehead. "That's our daughter. She's so tiny." He seemed shocked and happy and Ruka couldn't help smiling again, laughing lightly.

"Yes, it's our daughter. Little Reiko."

"Reiko... A beautiful name."

The small family huddled together, talking quietly. Kyoujurou opened his eyes and stared at his twin sister, who stared back at him. A giggle bubbled out of the boy and he stretched out a chubby hand, wrapping it around her arm. She gave a gummy smile back at him and moved her arms up and down.

They seemed to communicate and their parents laughed at their antics. Ruka quickly turned away, letting out a chest-shaking cough, and Shinjuro's eyebrows furrowed in worry. "Ruka, don't push yourself. Rest, I'll bring you some herbs."

She nodded, laying back slightly and pulling her children closer to her. She drifted off with the sounds of light breathing and giggling, a smile on her face.

——

It was only a few years later when her second son, Senjurou, was born, and she let out an exasperated laugh as she saw he looked just like her husband and son, other than the eyebrows.

"Your genes are too powerful, Shin. He looks just like you. Reiko is the only evidence any of them had a mother."

Shinjurou laughed loudly and pulled her into a side hug, kissing her cheek as his shoulders shook with mirth.

——

Senjurou only has his mother for less than five years before she passes. They lose their father to alcohol not long after. Shinjuro can barely take to look at Reiko for all that she looks like her mother.

Kyoujurou and Reiko do their best to take care of their younger brother, and Kyoujurou works hard to master all he can of flame breathing using the journals in Shinjuro's study, teaching it to his siblings all the while. Reiko keeps up as well as she can between taking care of the house and cooking, and the two older siblings are on par with each other by the time Final Selection comes around.

Reiko decides not to go with Kyoujurou, instead deciding to stay at home.

"Reiko... you are more than good enough to come with me, I have no doubts that you will pass Final Selection if you choose to accompany me." Kyoujurou has a rare furrow on his brows as he talks with his sister, the two sitting at the edge of the engawa.