↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 1969

"I can't believe that I have to spend my birthday in a bloody recording studio with Ringo, John, and Paul," George grumbled over breakfast.

Alexandria shrugged. "I thought that you loved them," she quipped. "And you know that you're supposed to spend your birthday with the ones that you love."

George scoffed. "Would much rather spend it with you in that case," he answered. Then, he paused. After swallowing another bite of cereal, he looked up again. "Have you any plans for today?"

Alexandria smiled, trying to hide how nervous such an interrogation made her feel. She had big plans for today, but they were a secret to him. "Think I'm gonna go shopping," she said instead. "Gotta find you something good for your special day, y'know."

"I hope it's my yearly addition to your lingerie collection," he said, tipping his lips into a smirk. "Might I add a suggestion if it is? Less fabric than last year."

"May as well just pose starkers on the bed for you at this point, George," Alexandria mused.

George raised an eyebrow. "And you know that I wouldn't be too opposed to that, actually."

Alexandria chuckled. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind," she said with an eye roll.

George took the last bite of his cereal and stood. Alexandria watched as he brought his bowl into the kitchen. He returned a moment later with a travel cup full of coffee in his hand. "I suppose I'd better be on my way, then," he said, going over to place a kiss on her cheek. "I love you."

Alexandria's heart swelled. "I love you too," she answered.

She waited as his footsteps grew fainter, and as soon as the door opened and closed again, she jumped up and practically ran to the living room. The sudden movement disturbed the waves that had just calmed in her stomach, and her face twisted uncomfortably as she rubbed at her belly. How awful this feeling was. She picked up the phone and dialed Kathleen's number with ease. She waited impatiently as the line rang once...twice...and halfway through a third, her sister finally picked up on the other end.

"Hello?"

"Kath, I've got to talk to you," Alexandria said immediately.

Kathleen raised an eyebrow on the other end of the line. "All right, then," she answered. "What have you done now?"

"This is not a drill, Kath, I haven't had a period in over a month," Alexandria said. "My last started on January twentieth. I'm late, late. Even by the terms of 'I just had a miscarriage' late."

"What?" Kathleen practically yelled into the phone.

Alexandria jumped and pulled the receiver away, cringing at the loud sound that had just emitted from the speaker. "What do I do?" she asked when she recovered.