↠ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

・。

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

TUESDAY, MARCH 11, 1969

Alexandria stirred her caramel coffee as George sat across from her, eating a banana.

"Morning," he said.

"Morning," Alexandria responded evenly, avoiding her husband's eyes.

George's eyebrows rose in suspicion. "Something bothering you?"

"You," Alexandria answered.

"Me?" George answered.

Alexandria looked into his eyes. "You," she confirmed.

George frowned. "Well, what in the hell did I do this time?" he asked.

"You don't love me anymore."

"Now, how did you get that impression?" Confused beyond belief, George took another bite of his banana.

"Because you rejected me last night," she responded. "Starting to think at this point that you haven't any interest in shagging me now that you've knocked me up."

"And, again I ask, how did you get that impression?" George repeated. "I didn't reject you last night."

"Oh, you didn't?" Alexandria asked. "Then, I suppose I've just overestimated your ability to read signs. Thought I'd perfected me charm over the past nine years. Clearly, I was mistaken."

"Oh, hell, Alex, you can't possibly believe that I don't love you anymore because I didn't want to...shag you at three in the damn morning. Ever entertained the idea that I might be tired?"

"Are you tired or just disgusted with me?"

"Disgusted with you?" George asked. "Why would I be disgusted with you?"

As if on cue, sudden nausea gripped Alexandria and she slammed her coffee cup down, stood, and rushed for the bathroom. George stared at the liquid that had sloshed out of the cup, and a moment later, he heard retching coming from down the hallway. He sighed, took the last bite of his banana, and then stood. Tossing the empty banana peel away, he followed in Alexandria's footsteps. "Alex?" He neared the door, and then it slammed shut.

"Don't come in here!" Alexandria shouted in embarrassment.

"Al—," George tried to say again, and as his hand reached for the doorknob, a light clicking song from inside the knob told him that the door had just been locked. He sighed again, pressing a hand to his forehead. "Alex, dear, please open the door," George pleaded. He pressed an ear to the door, wrapping his hand around the knob. His response was more retching.

"Go away, George!" Alexandria responded, squeezing her eyes shut. She knelt on the floor, her head hung practically in the toilet. Tears squeezed from her eyes, but she refused to open them until she felt confident enough to move away from the toilet, she was sure that a clear view of what had just erupted from her stomach was only bound to make her vomit some more.