eleven

• Sienna •

Sierra really does her best not to worry, but it's hard when Matt is blocking everyone out. Even his brothers don't know exactly what's going on, or they won't tell her. Either way, she finds herself unable to concentrate on the absurd amount of homework that she has as her mind keeps drifting back to their conversation the day before. Or lack thereof.

Claire texts her occasionally, checking in and assuring her that she hadn't done anything that could have set him off. Had she though? Everything was fine, until it wasn't. What had changed in the time between when he arrived at her house and when he had left? Josh had showed up, but the two of them were civil. They didn't exactly know each other, but there didn't seem to be any bad blood when Josh showed up.

Had something happened with his family? He'd said that his mom needed him home, and while she hadn't exactly believe him when he said it, maybe something had happened. She resisted the urge to text Chris or Nick to ask. She knew that if he wasn't telling her something, it was because he didn't want her to know. If she went behind his back, it would only make things worse. Her mind was spiraling, peeling back all the layers of the day before, searching for anything that could have changed things. She was finally pulled out of her thoughts when her phone buzzed again, hoping that it would be Matt explaining what happened.

Josh: want to go get something to eat?
Josh: there's that new coffee shop downtown that looks good

She smiled as she read the text, grateful that at least one of her friendships wasn't affected by whatever was going on with Matt. She texted him back and walked to her closet to find a hoodie to put on. Her smile faded into a frown when she realized that all the clean hoodies in her closet belonged to Matt. She closed the closet door quickly, and decided she would grab a jacket from the coatrack on her way out instead. It wasn't long before her phone buzzed again, another text from Josh telling her that he was outside.

Once she sat down, she calmed down a little bit. Finally distracted from her thoughts. She normally would go to Claire when she got like this, but with Claire being somewhat involved in the situation, she knew that it wouldn't help. Josh, while he had been there when it happened, was essentially an outsider from the rest of her friends, so he didn't know everything that was going on. She didn't have to worry about him asking questions that she didn't know that answer to or trying to convince her to just talk to Matt.

The car ride was calm, the music playing softly under their conversation. It wasn't long until Sienna had completely forgotten about all the drama in her life. It was just her and Josh, riding into the city for coffee. Logically, she knew that it wasn't a good idea to get coffee at 5pm, but she almost never cared about things like that. A girls gotta feed her caffeine addiction.

They pulled up outside the coffee shop and Josh completely butchered his parallel parking. So Sienna offered to fix it. She wasn't great, but she could definitely get it better than it was. She smiled at Josh when she put the car in park, a little too confident in how she had done. But, she was in the lines and not too crooked.

She met him on the other side of the car as they got out, and his hand nervously found it's way into hers. "Thanks for that. I've never been able to parallel park." His voice was quiet in her ear and she blushed slightly, pulling him toward the shop.

Once they sat down with their drinks, waiting for their food to come out, Sienna finally responded. "That was entirely luck. I don't know how I did it so well."

He sipped his drink, a dirty chai he said it was, and offered her a sip a second later. She didn't like it, but she laughed when he told her what it was called. "It's just chai tea and espresso. What do you mean you don't like it?"

"It tastes like dirt." He laughed, choking a little on his nasty drink, and she felt her heart surge. It felt good to make someone laugh like that, she realized that she hadn't done it in a while.

"Ya know, Sienna. I really like you. And I wanna keep hanging out like this, if you'd like." He didn't meet her eyes and she couldn't see his face, but she could see the tips of his ears going red.

Her hand gravitated to his over the table. "I'd like that."

They left the coffee shop soon after, getting back into his car and noticing that maybe her park job wasn't as good as it had seemed when they had gotten out. After a few tries, they got out of their spot, back onto the road and they began the drive home. It was sprinkling when they got into the car, and the rain soon picked up into a downpour. The droplets hitting the roof of the car was calming, especially after the day that she'd had.

When he finally pulled up to her house, she'd kissed him goodbye. Just a small peck, but she could tell that he was relieved that she seemed to reciprocate his feelings. She pulled up her hood, and ran into the house, immediately going up to her room to change as the short walk to her front door had drenched her.

She sent a text to Claire, telling her a small amount of what had happened, and her phone instantly buzzed.

clairebear: i'm calling you when i get home

{note: mae cameo in the next chapter :)) hint hint, if you haven't read my chris book then there might be some spoilers and some of the stuff she says might not make sense, but you can get the jist. anyway, thanks baes xx}