A Curious End

A bloodstained battlefield, covered in the lives of millions, from past and present and future alike. A desolate blue ambience, with what lay between worlds in its infinite proportion. Lit by sparks flying, flying by the will of two individuals in a duel. Streaks of red and clanging blades, and white hair of a being that knows not death. For what are they fighting, but a single shard? An object capable of destruction, death, and suffering, but also the opposite. An object that bends all worlds to its desire.

"Why are you doing this?!" Yelled Ruby, aged 36. "Do you understand the true power of that tiny shard?!? If so, I believe you too would seek it." Salem answered. "No?!? And why would I want to?" Retorted Ruby. "Foolish girl, you fight for what you don't know in a half-assed manner? Shame." Answered Salem.

For the shard possessed great power, greater than the greatest magic, and the most powerful machines. It was capable of changing everything, especially when reunited with the rest of the broken object. This power, sought after by Salem, would change everything. Their world, the world beyond that, and all others.

Nearing the edge, Salem realized if she were to fall, not even the brother of life could bring her back. She tried in vain to stop this advancement, but Ruby was much too red-visioned to care. And so she threw the crystal.

It was not an intentional toss, but Ruby's boot which did the deed.

Sparkling, spinning, shiny. Glimmering as it fell into the abyss below. Other words filled Ruby's mind, for what she felt for the crystal. Worthless, useless, waste of time. But still, Salem's scream relented a different message than Ruby's thoughts. Power, knowledge, god-like presence, all gone with the twist of an ankle. She reached into the abyss, fearing the next few moments, for she knew what happened next.

"Hey you, get your mind off of that worthless piece of whatever, and face me you coward!" Ruby bellowed. Salem stared into the abyss for a while, before coming to and realizing that after this, nothing would remain. Nothing in the immediate vicinity of course, but that did not diminish the danger. So she ran.

"Are you really just going to run away again?!? Like you always do?!?" Exclaimed Ruby angrily. But Salem did not hear, instead running. Running faster than the fastest grimm.

She did not make it out.

What Salem was panicking about was unknown, but she ran. She knew what she was running from was dangerous, and could be bad enough to consume whole worlds.

The crystal hit the ground after a seeming eternity, sending out an echoing call, signifying that the shard was broken.

A strange quiet fell over the space, as a ball of void accumulated around the broken crystal. The ball grew amd seemed to reached a critical mass of sorts. In a bright flash, the ball burst, and void consumed the battlefield. Ruby was gone before she knew it, and Salem screamed as the ball engulfed her.

Then, just as quickly as it burst, it collapsed in on itself, into a single point. What had remained of the battlefield was but a few meager chunks of stone and drops of blood. And, as if to mock her, Salems severed hand floated above what remained of the ground, cleanly cut.

But the crystals death march had not yet finished, the glowing point seemingly growing brighter. Finally, it exploded, and sent out a wave of... peculiar energy. These waves distorted what they came across. Not anything was safe. Not even entire universes. While many were out of the waves influence, a stark few were distorted by them. Some even formed connections to one another, one of those worlds belonging to a certain joyous, pink, and hungry ball.

Kirby.