My english essay

Chinese Cinderella is the true memoir of Adeline Yen Mah's childhood, describing her life up until she is fourteen years old. Adeline was born into a wealthy family in Tianjin, China, as their fifth child. Her mother dies due to birth complications and her family thus views Adeline as "bad luck" and a curse upon them. The author uses writing craft to writing craft to help the reader understand what the characters are struggling with. A few of the craft moves included are diction, smilie, hyperbole, alliteration, irony, metaphor, personification, smilies. analogy, and many other forms of figurative language.

One of the craft moves, on page eighty two, is imagery, "I was overwhelmed with horror. My whole world turned desolate. I ran over without a word, cradled PLT tenderly in my arms and carried her upstairs. Placing her on my bed, I wrapped my mortally wounded pet in my best school scarf and lat doen next to her. It was a night of grief I have never forgotten." This quote portrays the death of Adeline's beloved pet duck, whom she called PLT. The animal was pounced on by another character named Jackie. This contributes to the plot because it makes Adeline look at Jackie differently than before she killed her pet. She has a new found resentment later in the story, which affects their relationship. Another valid quote that represents imagery is, "I must have dozed off because I woke up to the murmur of voices. Sunlight poured through my curtain and I recalled with a start I was in a strange place far from home."

"In the living room everyone was crowded around a glass coffee table," As it states on page one hundred fourty seven, "They made room to include us and Ye Ye the seat of of honor..." This is an example of a metaphor because a "seat of honor" could be depicted as a seat made for someone whom is special amongst the others. For example, someone on their birthday would get the "seat of honor" because it is their special day, rather than everyone else. This contributes to the book because it shows that Ye Ye is more important than the other characters, solely because he is older and more wise than the others. To add on, in the past, men would typically got more freedom than women did, which is why he got the chair and not someone else.

A simile on page fourty seven says, "A thought suddenly hit me like a bow." This meaning, a thought or revelation or realization suddenly occurred to Adeline. This contributes to the book because it causes her to go into a part-panic-attack, asking questions to herself as thoughts run through her head.

In conclusion, craft moves is crucial for literature because it allows individualality in the book and further development in the story through language. Craft moves in Chinese Cinderella help shape the plot and elevate the text. Without it, the book would be flat and bland.