Nunchucks: The Right Way to Use Fighting Sticks!

Nunchucks are an ancient, traditional weapon that originated in China

Nunchucks are an ancient, traditional weapon that originated in China. They consist of two wooden, metal, or plastic sticks connected by a short length of rope or chain. The nunchaku was developed as a military implement, originally serving as a flail and later becoming the Japanese national weapon during feudal times.

The nunchaku is typically wielded with one hand (though it can be used in either hand). Different styles use different grips and stances to achieve striking power and agility; one such style implements quick strikes with the nunchaku held between both hands like chopsticks while others focus on form and control.

Much of the choreography of traditional nunchaku games utilize the nunchaku as improvised weapons. It has been used in many films, martial arts films and popular film series, with some movies featuring two-against-one fights.

Nunchaku Similarity to Other Weapons

The two most important movements in the kata are "Nuki Do" and "Nuki Geri", both named after the parts of the body used to move it.

One arm swings down (from above) to strike the opponent's weapon or wrist while another arm swings 20 degrees upwards to strike an opponent's head in retaliation. As a result of this striking motion, characters often have their hands above their heads.

In contrast to the simple nunchakus of the past, present-day nunchaku are very similar in appearance and function to those of other weapons such as the Samurai sword or Aikido weapon, including broomsticks.

Two Major Nunchaku Types

Two types of nunchaku are in existence: Wün Nomi (Wun Nomi) and Tong Gi (Tong Gi). The ultimate Wun Nomi consists of a short length of chain tied at both ends, with each end fashioned into thick circular "rings".

This is then tied onto a handle. Because the chain prevents rings from touching, a stick is made where each ring is doubled over so that it can be inserted into the handle. This allows for greater leverage and accuracy.

The Tong Gi is a much simpler variation of the Sun Nomi, made up of two short sticks connected by a short length of chain; rings are not involved.

A small leather or rubber pad can be attached to the back of the knots to add grip, or it can be wrapped with tape and hand gloves. There is no special name for these weapons, which have become standard martial arts weapons.

In recent years, many people have taken to using nunchaku without the traditional chain on their custom-made nunchucks as they find that they do not get weighed as much as they would with chain.

Nunchucks as Martial Arts Tools

Nunchaku are mostly used for martial arts and are originally from China. They can be made of wood, metal, or plastic. Nunchaku consist of two sticks with a length of cord or chain connecting the two. The nunchaku was invented in Japan by the Okinawan blacksmith Okinawa Kanemitsu (与謝野 金光).

It is often depicted as a weapon for ninjas in movies who use it to flip blades around their bodies and control kunai knives by using their nunchucks as handles. Increasingly, it can be seen being used in traditional Chinese wushu routines as well, where they are usually referred to as "nangchao".

What are the three most basic things you should know about nunchaku?

1.) They are not real weapons.

2.) They don't actually hurt you if they hit you.

3.) You can hide them in a bag, purse, or any other bag with a zipper.

Are Nunchucks Dangerous?

People who think that nunchaku is a lethal weapon and carries it around at all times are mistaken. This as a weapon can only achieve dangerous situations when combined with one-on-one training and basic fighting skills, especially when children take it to school in the hopes of gaining their parents approval. That will give them an 'in' for bullying someone and causing harm to others.

Nunchaku training and practice should be left to adults. They are not toys or toys. It is mostly called a weapon, but it is really just a martial arts travel tool used by the wushu community to perform everyday tasks such as opening and closing doors, picking up children and pets, opening cupboards and even playing basketball – all while avoiding injury to themselves.