Chapter One

Eddie sat in the pew, thinking. The church was empty and quiet except for the occasional whirring of fans and other mechanical stuff that had been installed.

The brown haired man looked down at the carpet. Clean. Just how he liked it. Of course, he hadn't really been the one to sign up for cleaning the auditorium but still....at least it gave him something to do.

Eddie looked up at the pulpit and sighed. Life had been going well for him. He had a great job, and even had a fiancé. What could be better?

But then all of that had changed in a split second. And all because of a choice he had made. It was so stupid! Why couldn't he just had controlled himself and not asked those stupid questions while on the interview with that insane rich dude, Carlton Drake? Jeez! If he had kept his mouth shut, he would still have his reporting job, and his fiancé, Anne!

Sometimes he really hated himself.

The only thing he could do now was think about what he did. He had fucked up so bad and there was no turning back at this point. Anne had moved on and had a new boyfriend and frankly Eddie couldn't be mad at the guy. Dan was a really nice, polite person who genuinely cared about people.

But still, it stung.

Eddie passed his hands over his face and groaned into them.

"I'm an idiot," he muttered.

He glanced up at the clock. Eleven thirty. He should have been worried but he wasn't for some reason.

Only a few more minutes, and then I'll leave, he promised himself.

There had been a rumor going around the church that every night exactly at twelve o'clock, there was a sentient being that roamed the building, searching for victims to possess and kill. Eddie hadn't believed them until they caught it on camera one night. The security cam showed a person who had broken in apparently and was on the hunt to steal some stuff.

Suddenly, there was a huge, black creature that had sprung out of nowhere and had dispatched the robber with one bite, eagerly scooping up the rest to eat after severing the person's head.

And that was on camera. Everyone had seen it.

Now of course there were people who speculated that it could have been a joke, but the security footage didn't lie. Limbs and parts were flung around, the demon obviously enjoying its hunt, gruesome sounds and images embedded into Eddie's brain.

And that demon was huge. On camera, it seemed like it's head would touch the ceiling in the office where the man went to steal. Of course there wasn't a very good image of it as it almost always showed the back of the creature, but still!

Eddie shuddered.

Imagine if he got caught by that thing!

Wait. Then why wasn't he leaving? And why did he decide to come here now of all times when it would be unleashed in thirty minutes? Jeez, he really was dumb!

Wait a minute...

Jumping to his feet, he whipped his head around to look at the huge clock on the wall. His face paled as the hand reached the twelve and his breathing quickened.

"Oh, shit," he whimpered and immediately raced towards the exit, flying down the aisle and to the large doors that would take him into the fellowship hall.

Now Eddie didn't really believe in God. Not really. He had heard of this kind of thing before but he had pushed it aside, thinking he was too old to believe in that kind of thing. But now...now he literally begged. Begged to be spared. Begged to be out before the demon could arrive.

He didn't know if it was his imagination but he thought he heard a low, guttural growl from somewhere behind him and that spurred him on faster. He needed to get out.

Oh! There were the doors! He just needed to get to them and out of the building. Wait. Did the demon even go outside? What if it did? Oh, crap, he needed to run.

He could see the doors, his only hope of escape right in front of him. Closer and closer they got until he was three feet from them. Just as he thought he was safe, a massive figure bared his way, suddenly seeming to come up out of nowhere and roared.

Eddie shrieked like a girl and tried to scramble back, but that ended putting him on his backside. The dark silhouette of the demon towered over him, claws ready, growling approvingly as it loomed over him, eager to rend and tear.

"Hello, morsel," the demon growled in a deep, utterly wicked voice that made Eddie tremble as it dimly echoed through the room. "We've been waiting for you...."

Eddie wanted to, but he couldn't. His body didn't seem to want to obey. Even if he wished for it, he couldn't fight the demon. No. He was already dead.

So he did the only thing he could do.

He waited.