Wedding Day Preparations

"Pepa, you know you're going to make it rain on Dolores' and Mariano's wedding day anyway," Bruno stressed out, following behind his equally as stressed older sister. A large gray rain cloud hovered above the pair, yet it appeared to rain on only Pepa. "You've rained at pretty much every wedding that's ever taken place in the Encanto-"

"I don't want to be reminded of mine and Félix's wedding day."

"Rain on a wedding day is a good thing," he told her and she stopped and turned towards him. "Because it makes the knot harder to untie. And besides... you and Félix are still together after three decades, aren't you?"

Pepa considered this, before slowly nodding.

"I... guess."

"Not to mention you made it rain on Julieta and Agustín's wedding day and they're still together," Bruno continued.

"That was different. I was happy for our older sister."

"Aren't you happy for your hija and her boyfriend?"

"I am..." Pepa paused, biting her lip. She seemed a little bit unsure of how to continue. "Oh, I'm gonna go help mi hija get ready!" she called, beginning to rush up the stairs.

"Aren't Isabela, Luisa and Mirabel already doing that?!"

Bruno waited. But he got no answer. Pepa had already gone up to her eldest's room.

Pepa stopped just outside the door, her hand raised and ready to knock on it. But just then Pepa remembered her daughter heard her coming up the stairs. And only a few seconds passed before Dolores was heard on the other side of the door.

"It's fíne, mama. I don't need you in here too."

"Are you sure?"

"Sí."

Pepa said nothing, and left to go and rejoin the rest of the family who were home at the time downstairs.

At that, Dolores turned her attention away from her door.

"You know, it just seems typical that you would choose those for your wedding, D," Isabela commented, peering over her cousin's shoulder at the Guzmánia Bromeliads in Dolores' hands. "Do you want me to decorate the church with those?"

Dolores nodded, but said nothing. She just kept on with studying the flowers.

Besides that, the wedding was to take place at around one that afternoon, with the following reception and dancing having been limited to an hour for Dolores' sake. In fact, Dolores hadn't quite realized she'd been daydreaming about her and Mariano's future together until Isabela tapped her on the shoulder with the stem of a flower she just created.

"I just asked you if you wanted more than just the bromeliads you asked for, you know, " Isabela said stoically when Dolores looked up at her, resting an arm across her cousin's shoulder now. "You're super lucky I didn't have to use a cactus to grab your attention."

"Just the bromeliads are fine, Isa."

"Are you sure?"

"Sí."

"Are you sure you're sure?"

"I said sí, Isabela."

Isabela nodded. "Well, I'm going to go decorate the church with them now," she said as she turned and began to exit her prima's room. "What time is it now anyway?"

"Eleven, Isa," her youngest sister replied. "We have two hours before Dolores and Mariano's wedding-"

But Isabela had already left, slamming Dolores' door behind her and causing her cousin to cover her ears in pain. Dolores quickly recovered though, and turned her attention to Mirabel.

"Is my dress ready, prima?" she asked.

"I have it in my room," Mirabel replied, adjusting her glasses. "I just got a few more finishing touches to make to it then I'll hand it to you."

"Gracias. Luisa..." Dolores tilted her head a little then focused her attention towards her other prima. "Could you go and help move some heavy stuff in the church. Namely the pews. And one of the columns of the altar fell over."

"Got it. Let me guess, the donkeys are out again too?" the tallest of the three asked, moving to stand up. Dolores tilted her head to listen out again.

"Only a couple. But you can ask Antonio to ask them to go back into their pen."

Luisa nodded firmly and started towards Dolores' door. Casita opened it gently and closed it behind Luisa so she didn't have to end up breaking it. Dolores turned her attention back to Mirabel and stood up at the same time as her youngest prima."

"What say we go have you try on your dress so that I know what adjustments to make and what to add," Mirabel said, moving to stand near Dolores' door. Dolores joined her within seconds and Mirabel opened the door for the both of them to exit and head to Mirabel's room.

Casita opened up Mirabel's door and Mirabel hurried inside with Dolores not far behind, closing the door silently behind her and focused her attention on her wedding dress: entirely yellowish white, with a pattern of sound waves covering it. Much like her everyday clothing.

"Do you need to make any final adjustments to it, Mira?" Dolores commented, stunned into silence at the sight of the dress. "It's so beautiful. I like it as is."

Mirabel looked from the dress to her only prima. "I don't have to but I'd still like you to try it on just to see if it fits."

Dolores nodded, taking the dress as Casita pushed it over to her.

She chose to put it on when Mirabel turned around, picking up its skirt and twirling around in it a few times. "Okay, Mira," she said after a few minutes. "You can turn around now."

Mirabel did, smiling at her older prima. She looked away after a moment.

"Casita, how much time do we have left?"

Casita sent over an alarm clock. Mirabel bent down for a moment before standing up again and looking at Dolores. "We've got an hour and a half left before your wedding. Should we head down to the church now?"

"What about your dress? And Isa and Luisa's?"

"I embroidered that one over there a few days ago for myself to wear." Mirabel pointed a hand in the direction of a purple dress with black butterflies covering it. "I'm pretty sure Isabela's going to wear her normal dress and I made a purple and white dress with donkeys and weights on it for Luisa to wear. So I think we're all set. Give me some time to get myself ready and we'll head on  down to the church with the rest of the family."

Dolores nodded before turning to leave Mirabel's room. And, as she did, all she could think about was Mariano.