13.A cold call

Minutes after the phone call with uncle Pd, you and Jungkook arrive at the Drunk Tank. Several of the windows are smashed out. Inside, you find your uncle holding a dustpan and broom, attempting to clean up the chaos.

"Uncle!" You gave him a warm hug "I'm glad you're safe. I'm going to catch that bastard who did this"

Jungkook walks toward the barstool and sees a camera. "Anything from this camera?"

"I forgot to change the damn tapes out. Won't be making that mistake again" Hanging his head low he lets a heavy sigh. "Alright, then be a good witness and walk me through your day"

Uncle Pd sighs again as he takes a seat at the bar. He runs a hand over his balding head as he recounts the day.

"Opened at eleven like usual. Had a delivery coming around noon Matty was gonna help me unload it, but he never showed...so I went down to the diner for the lunch. And when I got back, I found this. Still no word from Matty too...I'm starting to get that feeling, Y/n" He wipes the precipitation on his forehead, and his breathing hitches as he turns to take a glance at his bar.

"Did they anything besides dad's badge and gun?" He pointed to his registers" The money from the registers. Not sure what else yet. You should see my office though. Hell of a mess. "

Jungkook gives a slight tap on the table to gain his attention "Why take the badge and gun at all? They can't be worth much" You nod your head as you continue "If our guy's an amateur, he may not know that...Don't worry, Uncle we'll get to the bottom of this"

Uncle Pd heads into the back to make some coffee, while you and Jungkook turn to face the room. You peer behind the bar, taking stock of what's missing...Wait! why did they leave the expensive liquor?

"So they took the money from the register...but locked it afterward? And then there's..." You trail off, eyes falling on the dust-stained empty spot on the wall. Your heart sinks seeing it. Jungkook places a hand on your shoulder. "We'll get it back"

You move to the window, examining the broken edges, and the spray of glass on the sidewalk outside. 'Huh. See how little of the glass wound up in the bar? The window was broken from the inside"

"So this wasn't the entry point." You give a slight nod "Not likely. It could mean they got in another way and left in a hurry...or someone was trying to cover their tracks"

You poke your head into the back office. Scattered paperwork completely covers the floor, but the safe in the corner remains unharmed. "Whoever did this was looking for something in here. But not in the safe..."

Just then, there's a knock at the door. You return to the main room as a middle-aged woman pokes her head in from the outside.

"Hello...Is Pd here? I'm here looking for my son, Matty" Your uncle comes out from the back, a look of concern on his face. "Pd, thanks for calling. I'm worried sick, Matty never came home last night, and when you said he didn't come in..."

"Is that unusual for him?" The lady looks at Jungkook and answers "Yes! He's a good kid. Always home by curfew."

"Ms. I think Matty is in danger" Her gaze shifts to you, with sadness splashed all over her face "Oh god...You don't think he's been kidnapped?"

"Do you have some reason for you to think so?" Her eyes gave out a tint of fear as she fumbled with her earrings "No! I mean, other than--No!"

"Ms. Sofia, what's going on?" Your uncle places a cup of coffee in front of her. As she takes a sip "You see...I took out a loan from The Butcher" You couldn't believe what she said neither did your uncle.

"I was desperate. The car broke down, and if I couldn't get to work, we'd be out on the street"

"Forgive me" Jungkook steps into the conversation "But I'm afraid I need some clarification. Who, dare I ask, is 'The Butcher'?" Uncle sighs, unaware of how to explain this.