A Goodnight's Memory

I sighed. "Of fucking course." I leaned against the door, with my arms crossed.

"Ugh!" Sara groaned. "Really? The power had to go out when you're here?" I scoffed at her, Sara being dramatic wasn't really anything new. Especially when it came to me.

Max and Jacob came back from outside and sat on the couch. "The power's out. I tried going down the street to see if anyone has service and well." Jacob paused and Max finished his thought. "No one has service. No connection. The power line and the connection towers got struck by lightning, that was the bang we heard earlier."

I slowly slid down the wall, lowering myself into a scrunched up ball on the floor. "Of course." I muttered, shivering a tad. "On top of all of that, it's freezing in here."

Jordan walked in and she tossed down a bag of coal onto the ground in front of me, making me cough. "Oh stop complaining Val. One of the neighbors gave me some coal in exchange for a snack or two in the morning."

"Thank god." Sara said, wrapping her arms around Jacob.

He pushed her off and scoffed. "Sara, I talked to you about this a few days ago. Stop it." Jacob's voice was filled with anger and sorrow. His eyes weren't on her, they were on me.

I groaned as I got up. "Who's gonna sleep out here and who's in the bedrooms?"

"Jacob and you will sleep out here with the fire since you're both in short sleeved clothing. Me and Sara will sleep in the guest bedroom, and Jacob will sleep with Mavrik whenever she gets back." Jordan spoke as she worked.

She opened the bag of coal and took a few pieces out, tossing them into the unlit fireplace and grabbed a box of matches from her pocket, lighting one and dropping it into the fire.

"I'm not gonna ask why you have a box of matches on you." Max commented, with a bit of humor and concern in his voice.

"You never know when you'll need to burn a corpse." Jordan shrugged, laughing a bit and sitting down on the couch, placing herself on Jacob's lap.

This made my blood boil for some reason. I let out a small noise of disapproval and Jacob chuckled, wrapping his arms around Jordan.

Jordan shook his arms off of her. "Chill out Romeo, I'm after your brother. Not you." She paused, looking at me for a second then turning toward Sara. "Let's go get our bed set up. I don't feel like doing a bunch of shit tonight."

Sara nodded and Jordan got up, they both walked away into one of the bedrooms.

Max sighed. "Great. Alone at last." He walked to the other bedroom and me and Jacob were left alone. All alone.

Jacob tried talking. "Look. Val." I interrupted him, not letting him get any reasoning out.

"I'm sleeping on the floor. It'll make this easier. I'd rather not fight."

I began walking towards a closet that we were told held extra blankets. I grabbed a few, gave one to Jacob and set the rest up across the room from him, and the fireplace.

I didn't have any pillows and I wasn't about to ask Jacob for some of his. A few hours had passed and I thought he had fallen asleep.

Bundled up under the blankets I found earlier, I was shivering. My teeth were chattering quietly because of how far I was from the fireplace.

Jacob sighed obnoxiously loud, trying to make it known that he was awake and that I was keeping him awake.

"Get your ass up here, Val." Jacob sat up, turning his head to look down at me.

I snarled at him. "No. Hell no." I paused. "I'd rather die."

Jacob lifted up his blanket, the offer did look tempting. I kind of. KIND OF. Missed being in his arms.

"Calm down your bitchy attitude and get up here so we can both sleep." He said, his arm obviously getting tired.

I sighed and got up, hesitantly snuggling up with him under the blanket as he wrapped his arms around me out of habit. It made me tense up for a second, but I eased into it.

We both got comfortable in each other's arms and as Jacob was falling asleep, he muttered under his breath. "I wanna kiss you."

That sent a chill down my spine. My ex-boyfriend, who has a girlfriend of his own, just told me he wants to kiss me. It was probably just him being tired. I shook my head a bit, and got comfortable. And fell asleep, in my past lover's arms.