Prologue

Mama, with me in her pouch, was leaping from tree to tree, in search of food. I stuck one tiny paw out and pointed to the ground. There was a small plant below, thriving with juicy flowers. Mama saw them, and she kissed me on the head for my find.

Once on the ground, we began to munch.

Well, she fed me, because I was only a few weeks old.

"Hissssssssss. Hissssssssss."

I looked up at my mother, but she was frozen with fear.

"Hissssssssss. Hissssssssss."

My mother turned with me in her pouch. In front of us was a large python, slithering towards us. We had no chance against this guy.

"Bombo!" my mother suddenly shouted. The snake's eyes lit up and he came forward, closer. A toucan landed near us. He had a scared look on his face.

"Take him!" my mother screamed at the bird. "Hurry, and get out of here!"

"But what about you?" the toucan asked. The python moved so it was only a few feet away from us.

My mother glanced at him and shook her head. "Go," she whispered.

I was taken out of my mother's pouch as the toucan took me in his claws. "Need a lift?" he asked.

The bird began flying, taking me away. I glanced back at my mother, but there was no hope. The python jerked towards her, and that was the last I saw of my mother.

As I was being flown away, I thought I heard voices. But the wind rushing past my ears made it impossible to understand anything.