Author's Note & Preface

"Hello, world! How are you today?" is the beginning phrase of every journal entry.

And the scratching of a felt tip traversing across a blank page with no history. The beginning of a never-ending existential crisis entry. Every once in a while, my brain will start drifting and catch on to something random, and sometimes it develops into something more. One of which was the genesis of the story of a young adolescent named Alissa Joy.

"SUPERPOWERS" was born.

Hello, my name is Theo Spruce. I am 16 years of age, a student, a daughter, a sister, a formless blob (a reference to Daniel Howell, if you know, then you'll know), a non-binary person, a Land of Stories fanatic, and a human being with high functioning autism.

As a person with only a minimal amount of seven or eight years of emotional and mental conscience, I'm not in the position to tell the stories of millions of people. I am only a fraction of millions whom share certain similarities, yet our stories are authentic to our DNA. I am fully aware that I am still very naive.

In 2006, I jumped off the train from the town known as the womb, just as we all do, (unless you are possibly an extraterrestrial being... Never mind that is a topic for another day), or synonymously known as the uterus and entered this universe. Not to mention in the parking lot of the hospital! Let's say I was far too impatient. Putting it lightly. (Sorry, Mum). Equally as much when penning this story, one saw something and wanted it to become a reality within the snap of a finger. But that's not truly how it works. Sorry to burst your bubble.

This story was formulated through the inspiration of the movie "The Half of It" by Alice Wu, Matt Haig's breathtaking diction and phraseology, the television series "Anne with an E" an adaptation of Anne of Green Gables, and my personal need for representation.

- Matt Haig "Notes on a Nervous Planet"

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

- Matt Haig "Notes on a Nervous Planet"

In February of 2022, when I was fifteen years old, I received an autism spectrum diagnosis.

It was confusing and relieving simultaneously.

SUPERPOWERS, tells the story of a fifteen year old Allison Joy, or Allie, who shares the experience of receiving an autism spectrum diagnosis, and their experience ensuing. Others' misconceptions about autism, discrimination, developing internalized "autism phobia", social breakdowns, self-harm, and the grieving of a parent; as well as, finding love, making a few life-long friends, finding happiness, knowing that there will be adversity at times but we are strong enough to get through it all. And last but certainly not least, accepting themselves and embracing their ultimate superpower... which is them <3

I hope by reading "SUPERPOWERS", that you will embrace and believe in your superpower(s). "The thing that you would most like to change about yourself, is the most interesting part of you." - William Shuester.

If it ever reaches the hands of readers, I would love to hear your feedback, thoughts, perspectives and advice :) (I hope that it does any form of justice and that you enjoy it ;))

Have a corntastic day ;)

(Just a quick daily reminder: Don't be or feel afraid to stim, express and engage in your interests, take time to be with yourself, eat a comfort food, etc. There is nothing wrong with you. You should never have to apologize for existing, you deserve to be alive).