happenstance

Fluttering sounds of bird wings resounded through the air. The trees sang full of life, a home to many a creature.

Large hands take hold of a baby bird that fell from its nest. The tiny, chirping, fluff ball is placed gently back in its home.

Jūgo watched carefully to make sure it didn't hop out again. A few moments later, the parents return to their baby, preening and chirping excitedly.

He continued to watch, imagining what it's like to have parents that worry. The feeling is foreign to him, and so he accepts that he'll never know.

Walking along the river bank, he spotted a vixen with her kits. She eyed him cautiously, but deemed his presence as safe.

As he approached, the two kits come over to investigate. Their sense of danger and suspicion have not been needed before, so they sniff at his feet curiously.

He contemplated petting them, but sees the adult fox keeping her distance. It's probably wise to not show affection to her kits. It may warp their judgment of man.

He continued onward, the kits stop following as their mom called to them in a sharp yip. He's thankful, he doesn't need the small distractions right now.

A breeze hit him, causing his tattered clothing to sway against his body. The scent of rain is being carried, he inhaled deeply.

He's spent a lot of time on his own. It's been a quiet life since the fourth great ninja war. He can't complain. He would never. That wasn't who he was.

Nope, he took each day in silent stride. He hadn't had a fit of rage in so long, he could almost let his guard down. The dark intrusive thoughts that came with relaxing made it so he never did.

The only relaxation he partook in was when he entered a meditative slumber. In those still moments, he felt at peace.

He approached his carvern home, a basket of forage in tow. With a final look at the clouds rolling in, he warmed himself with the last of the sunlight before sealing his cave with a large boulder.

He had measures in place in case he went on a rampage. It hurt his soul every time he took an innocent life. Every time, he'd repent. Repent for the loss, repent for himself.

Even with his home barricaded, he could hear the whistling of the wind as the storm came. Hopefully there wouldn't be any flooding this time..

He could feel the deep instinct to rest and let the storm pass as he made a fire. The flames lit up his home, warming the area slowly. Shadows danced along the walls, carvings he made of others flickered in the light.

He sat on old cushions he found, a few more were placed around his fire pit for others. Though he's never had company.

With a sigh, he began to char a few wild vegetables and mushrooms. The meal wasn't much but he enjoyed it nonetheless.

He warmed his cooling hands with the fire before putting it out and settling in for the night.

After another successful night of rest, he pushed the boulder out of the way to be greeted by the morning light. The scent of rain was fresh still as the sky continued to sprinkle a light mist. It left his senses a bit dull.

He set out to forage again, the same as he did every day. It became monotonous, but he couldn't trust himself to visit any nearby villages.

Besides, he rather liked being alone. Or at least that's what he told himself.

As he came to the river bed for a drink and to wash his face, he heard tiny piercing cries. His reddish eyes peered around carefully, he trailed the sound until coming across the creature in need.

Another bird, though older than the one from yesterday, struggled to help itself out of a puddle. It's white feathers were soaked, making its tiny frame heavier than normal.

Jūgo scooped the small poultry, covering it in his scarf to keep warm. He looked around the trees nearby for a nest but couldn't seem to find one. He observed the fledgling's lack of markings, they didn't seem to be a native species. It made him think of a goose instead of the native ducks.

Without any other options, he took the fledgling into his home. It cried softly, but as it warmed up it stopped.

He set the creature down before getting his makeshift mortar and pestle. He created a simple paste of seeds and foragables. With his finger, he fed the tiny bird begging for food.

After a while, the bird seemed to perk up some and preened itself as it dried. He watched and smiled a bit.

Outside, the rain cleared, sunlight peered through the clouds and the wildlife seemed to come alive again.

Jūgo figured he should try to find its home again. He looked down at the little fledgling as it pecked his hand gently. Perhaps for just a bit longer, he could have a friend.

As he walked into the forest, he kept an eye out for any unusual nests built. He set the fledgling on his shoulder and continued down the river.

He considered what a friend truly meant. His only true friend was Kimimaro, and he was gone. Could he consider the members of Taka as friends?

Maybe they were friends in the sense of having a common goal but it was nothing like what he had with Kimimaro. He did miss Karin and Suigetu's arguing, even when it broke out at undesirable times. It was never quiet with those two around. He missed it..

And Sasuke.. he wasn't like Kimimaro. He had different ideas. Ideas that changed easily with the tide, but he would follow that man to the ends of the world. If it was Kimimaro's will, then it would be his as well.

He felt needed with Sasuke and maybe that was enough to make up for their friendship. They had an unspoken bond.

Up ahead was a lake, birds had migrated and made their home here for the time being. He observed every flocked carefully before realizing there weren't any birds that looked like the one he had.

The white fledgling was alone like he was. Either abandoned or made off on its own. He could relate deeply to this and felt the need to keep it around longer.

As he made his way back, he could see a villager in the distance. They seemed to be foraging. He made sure to steer himself in a different direction from them. Anxiously, he tried taking a deep breath as his mind raced with scenarios that would never happen.

Back at his cave, he set the bird down to be on its own for a while. He wanted to meditate to soothe his nerves.

Deeper in the dark hole in the earth, he practiced his breathing and forms. They helped clear his mind when it became too full. Full of thoughts of the pained faces he'd caused. Full of the terrible loneliness he felt every day. Full of other emotions he buried deep in his heart.

As a monster who didn't belong anywhere, this was the closest balm for his soul. To soothe a pain so deep, would there ever be peace for him? He didn't know the answer, but maybe that didn't matter anyways.

He thought about the fledgling he found. Maybe it would've died without him. But maybe it wouldn't have. He couldn't say what fate had in store for him or anyone. All his existence knew was the pain of others by his own hand.

Maybe, just maybe he could be needed by this baby bird for a bit longer. That sounded nice. Less lonely.