eighteen

• Matt •

When Matt woke up Sunday morning, he was met with a pounding in his head. Not that he was surprised about it, he had gone pretty overboard the night before. He was, however, surprised to find that he woke up in Sienna's bed. A water bottle and some advil sat on the bedside table, but she was no where to be found. The alarm clock read 10:17, way too early for him to be awake.

He had grown accustomed to the sounds of Sienna's home on the weekends over the years that they had been friends. Tara and Kole were almost always in the living room, doing something way louder than they should be, and her parents cooked food then ate on the back porch when it was nice outside. It occurred to him that he didn't know what Sienna normally did on days when he wasn't here.

He swallowed the pills on the nightstand in an attempt to dull the thudding in his head, even if he knew that it wouldn't do much. His phone had been plugged in and a sweatshirt of his sat on the end of the bed. He smiled, even if Sienna was pissed at him, she still went out of her way to help him.

Once he'd made his way downstairs, he found Sienna in the kitchen, flipping pancakes and humming a song under her breath. Her AirPods were in, and she had her back turned, so Matt sat down at the counter to wait for her.

"Holy shit, Matt!" He was pulled out of his thoughts by the sound of Sienna yelling, effectively drawing Tara and Kole into the kitchen as well.

"My bad, didn't mean to scare you." He shrugged, noticing the way her eyes softened when he spoke.

She placed a plate in front of him with a few pancakes on it, then slid a bottle of syrup across the counter to him. "Eat. It'll help with the headache."

Matt could tell that Sienna was still pissed at him, he deserved it, but he wished that she would forgive him already. The two had basically confessed their love for one another, so you'd think that she would have bigger things to worry about. Mainly Josh.

"My car is still at your house so my mom is going to drive us over soon." She once again had her back turned, this time cleaning the skillet in the sink.

"I can help with that. You don't need to cook me food and clean up."

"Matt, last time you washed dishes here they were still dirty, and I had to go and clean them again."

"That was like two years ago, Enna. I've improved." She scoffed, continuing to wash the dishes, but she didn't fight it when he came up and grabbed a few things to help. "Thank you for helping me last night, I shouldn't have drank that much." He whispered it, not wanting Sienna's entire family to find out why he was over so early, even though they probably already knew.

"It's nothing, you would've done the same for me."

Matt felt his heart flutter when she spoke. It was exactly why he liked her, she helped people because she wanted to, not for any kind of thanks or recognition. Sienna was genuinely a good person. She was right too, that he would have done the same for her. There weren't many people that he would allow to sleep in his bed to avoid getting yelled at though, just her.

The back door opened abruptly, causing the pair to jump. "You guys ready to go?" Sienna's mom walked in, holding two dishes in her hands. Through the open door he could see her dad walking toward the door.

"Yeah, just give me one sec to grab my keys." Sienna darted out of the kitchen and up the stairs, leaving him with both of her parents.

"Hi, Mrs. Hollis. How are you today?" He continued to wash his plate in the sink, hoping that Sienna's parents weren't upset with him.

"I'm doing good, Matt. How are you doing? You haven't been over in a while." Matt wondered if Sienna had told her mom about everything that had happened lately, he knew the two were close, but he wasn't sure exactly where Sienna drew the line on what she told her.

"Pretty good, I've been a little busy lately." She hummed in acknowledgment as she placed the plates she was holding onto the counter.

"Anything to do with Josh?" Matt whipped around, still holding his plate as it dripped water on the rug beneath him. He debated how to respond, it seemed like she knew what had been going on, but he didn't want to confirm anything if she was guessing.

Thankfully, Sienna came back downstairs a second later. The three made their way to the garage, but not before Sienna's mom sent Matt a knowing look when Sienna's back was turned.

~~~

When Matt walked into his house, he was surprised to find it way quieter than Sienna's house was. He was glad it was though, as the pounding in his head hadn't gone away. He caught a glimpse of Chris on the couch, Mae right beside him, both sound asleep. He wished that he and Sienna could do that, not that they didn't before, but it seemed off the table at the moment.

He noticed that Josh's car still sat outside too, meaning that he would have to come in because his keys sat on the table in the front room. He hoped that he wouldn't have to see him.

Almost like fate, a knock sounded from the front door. Matt hoped it was Sienna, coming in to get something that she had forgotten. He knew it wasn't her, though. He had just seen her drive off. He opened the door, and was met with the only face he didn't want to see.

Josh stood on the porch, an irritated look on his face. "Hey." His tone was short and clipped, a good sign that he was not happy that Matt answered the door.

Matt turned around to grab the keys off the table. "Probably need these, huh?" He laughed a little, trying to lessen the tension that sat between the two. They hadn't spoke one on one, well ever, and especially not since he and Sienna had gotten together.

"Yeah, there's something else though..." Matt didn't understand what Josh meant, he'd only left his keys from what he knew. He turned back around to the boy, a confused look on his face.

"What?"

Before he had the time to process what was happening, he felt a fist hit his face.

"Stop hitting on my girlfriend, man." Josh grabbed the keys that had fallen on the ground and turned to leave. "At least have the decency to not spend the night at her house when she's supposed to be at a party with me."

{note: i'm trying to make josh a dick so that it's easier to break him and sienna up cuz ya girl accidentally made him too likable and now i feel bad. i had this chapter written from both josh and matt's perspective and i just like how this one turned out better so i'm probs not gonna do a josh pov chapter, but honestly it wasn't really needed, i just thought it would be fun. anyways, thanks for reading luvs xx}