prelude

(best read in times new roman font, white background, smallest font size

(best read in times new roman font, white background, smallest font size.)

Said 'You're mistaken if you're thinking that I haven't been called cold before' // As you bit into your strawberry lace // Then offered me your attention in the form of a gobstopper // Its all you had left and it was going to waste.

—- Crying Lightning (2022)

ROSETTA CLARKE couldn't escape her bitter all encompassing rage

ROSETTA CLARKE couldn't escape her bitter all encompassing rage. Although she had spent the last few years manipulating the world around her. Smiling falsely in peoples faces, and pretending to be a good, kindhearted woman. She couldn't deny that the hatred was still there. Lingering in her body and coursing through her veins was a suffocating anger that she couldn't get rid of, no matter how hard she tried.

The only time it drifted, the only time she felt more like herself and less like a heated monster, was when she was making the people around her pay. It had started as an accident. A rapist she was responsible for sending away, showing up at her house in the dark hours of the night. She wasn't planning on stabbing him, but he had gotten too close for comfort, and it felt good.

She made it a point to only hurt the people who deserved it. The sick ones. The pedophiles and the serial killers and the rapists. For two years, her new way of life worked. She hadn't been caught. She was a prosecutor by day and a persecutor by night, and Rosetta was far beyond saving. She didn't want to be saved. It was too late for her to pretend she didn't crave slick coatings of blood tainting her skin. Turning her red and staining her. Getting stuck underneath her fingernails, coating her palms, changing her fate one murder at a time.

It only took her a little while to get too cocky for her own good. She felt incapable of making mistakes. Rosetta Clarke was committing the perfect crime, over and over and over again. Until she wasn't. There was a slip up, a simple mistake really. She wasn't quick enough. Someone heard her latest victim (though she did not believe they earned that title) scream. The cops were there quicker than she had expected. She knew what she had to do.