Sweet Cream

Jennette hums to herself happily. She has just taken the cream puff shells out of the oven, letting them cool. In the meantime, she has been whipping the cream whilst gradually adding sugar. Her father was out to buy food for lunch along with an Alpheus Maid (sent to help take care of their needs—as Uncle Alpheus still worries about leaving her with her father).

While her father was out, she decided to surprise him and miss Lisette with sweet treats by the time they came back. Glancing to the clock that hung on the beige colored walls in their dining room, it was nearly noon. The girl frowned for a moment. The two were a bit later than usual. Even though it's been a few months since her eighteenth birthday, her father tries to leave her home alone as little as he can (though it's unneeded, as they spend their days together in Mieta happily no matter what).

"I wonder what's taking them so long..." the girl aloud wondered absentmindedly to herself.

"Lonely already?"

There's a voice awfully close to her ear and the girl squeaks, dropping the metal bowl and whisk—only to be caught mid air by a mysterious force. Magic.

The chestnut haired girl turns quickly with flushed cheeks.

"Mister Magician! You mustn't sneak up on me like that!"

His hair is shorter today, black like a raven's feathers. It's different from her father's dark hair (which on occasion still appears golden under the sunlight). The magician's hair is as dark as night, ruby-like eyes piercing through the darkness with a single black mole under his left eye.

The man grumbles, something along the lines of, "You and the Princess, screeching every time I appear."

With warmed cheeks, the maiden adds on, "Suddenly appearing behind people surprises them no matter what."

The bowl and whisk clack together as Lucas lowers them back onto the wooden dining table. As Jennette walks past him to check on the cream, his eyes glance around the house.

"That criminal isn't here?"

"Father isn't a criminal anymore," she pushes back, lifting the whisk. It's reached stiff peaks already, so nothing spilled. "And he went out with Miss Lisette."

She hears the magician hum uninterested behind her.

"What is Mister Magician doing here?" Jennette asks curiously, looking over her shoulder. Her green eyes stare at him, large and innocuous like she had in the past (although she isn't quite as naive as before). There are times when the magician looks at them and sees glints of the aquamarine jewels that hide under the disguise. The haze shifts and contorts, sparkling jewels beginning to peek through the magic cloak.

With a tsk, the magician approaches and brushes a thumb over her left eyelid (in which she quickly shut in confusion at his sudden action). The haze strengthens, green returning once more. Disguise magic is usually simple to keep up, though it appears these days the one used to hide her eyes wears off easily. Humming to himself, Lucas looks over his fingertips. When Athanasia secretly goes into town, he doesn't have to worry about this problem. Perhaps it's because the spell on this girl is meant to continue over large stretches of time? Or is it a distance issue. It could even be her own magic conflicting with his (he isn't sure how to handle the imminent black magic that flows naturally in her body). After all, this problem doesn't seem to occur in the ex royal (then again, that guy casts disguise magic on himself—all Lucas has to do is keep the rest of his magic locked up).

"Mister Magician...?"

"Just being the Empress' little errand boy, as usual," he replies, suddenly aware of how close they were. When her eyebrows arch in confusion, he groans in clarification with a higher pitched voice, "Great, powerful, handsome Magician of the Black Tower! I haven't gotten a letter in months, please! Check up on her for me!"