Prince Charming

Before the wall clock could strike at seven, her eyes opened up on their own. She looked at her sleeping husband. Smiling sadly she moved to kiss his forehead lovingly. With her unfulfilled desires boring holes in her heart, she got up to start yet another gloomy day.

She entered the bathroom, where much to your surprise a radio was placed on the cabinet. She began brushing her teeth while listening to her favourite radio program. They say, once a radio person, always a radio person. The same goes for her.

Taking a quick shower afterwards, she got dressed in a shalwar kameez, not bothering to take a dupatta.

Exiting the bathroom she took a last glance at her husband before leaving the room to begin her daily chores.

She ambles to her six-year-old daughter's room.

"Wafa, wake up." She spoke softly while caressing Wafa's tiny, cute face.

Wafa woke up with a smile on her face. Kissing her mother's cheek, she ran to the bathroom. While her mother brought her school uniform.

She entered the kitchen to prepare breakfast. She was busy cracking some eggs when she felt a pair of arms snake around her waist.

"Go away, I am busy."

But he didn't leave. His lips were placed on her shoulder, making her arch her head back.

"Leave! What if someone caught us?"She whispered to him.

"Who? Your husband?" He chuckled.

"Yes."

'Shahrazad.' She heard her husband calling for her from their bedroom.

Shahrazad quickly freed herself from her lover's arms upon hearing her husband calling for her.

"Shahrayar, what happened?" She asked her husband as she entered their bedroom.

"This shirt's one button is missing, yaar. Give me another shirt." He whined, standing shirtless in front of her.

Shahrazad sighed and picked another shirt. The ironing board was placed in a corner of the room. She put the shirt over it and switched on the iron, waiting for the iron to heat up.

While Shahrayar began going through some files, being a workaholic person who can't sit or stand idle for more than a mile-second.

"Workaholic." She muttered under her breath.

"I heard it, Shahrazad."

"Good for you." She said back.

"Mumma!" Shahrazaad heard Wafa calling for her. She ran to her room.

"Yes, beta?"

"Shoelaces."

Passing a smile to her daughter, she bends down to tie Wafa's shoelaces. As soon as she was done, she walked back to her bedroom where her husband must be sulking.

Upon entering the room, she saw Shahrayaar already dressed and tying his tie.

"I ironed the shirt." He looked at her through the mirror.

Something clicked in her mind, and he could see that in her expressions.

"I thought Wafa needs your help. So I ironed the shirt myself."

She nodded half-heartedly. He must be tired of explaining his every single action to her. She felt horrible for putting him into this situation again and again.

"Shahrazad." His voice brought her out of her thoughts. She looked at him with surprise. Clueless if he asked for something.

"I'll be in my study. Bring my breakfast there. Okay?" His words were very careful.

She nodded and left for the kitchen.

As Shahrazad entered the kitchen, she saw him there.

Him. Her lover.

She continued from where she left. And he continued mumbling sweet words into her ear.

"Do you know how much I love you?" He asked while putting his head on her shoulder.

"No." She was more interested in the omelette she was cooking than his cheesy words.

"More than your husband."

His words caught her attention. All of a sudden, she grew serious.

"That doesn't change anything." She continued with her chores.

"Yeah, it doesn't change anything." His arms again wrapped around her waist and he began kissing her shoulder.

"Please stop." She whispered.

"No." He mumbled while kissing her neck.

"Shahrayar, stop!" And she pushed him away.

She pushed Shahrayar away.

"Shahrazad." It wasn't him who spoke. It was her husband standing at the entrance of the kitchen.

Shahrazad looked at her husband, bewildered. Her gaze went back to love, however, he was nowhere in the kitchen.

Shahrayar was careful. Trying to be as calm as possible.

"Wafa is asking for breakfast." He said, diverting the topic.

She nodded frantically. With a tray carrying Wafa's breakfast, she dashed past him.

Shahrayar looked around the kitchen, thinking about his wife and her lover. He sighed and rubbed his temple. And left.

Wafa left for the stop as soon as she finished with her breakfast.

Now, Shahrazad prepared Shahrayar 's breakfast. She entered his study room with the tray of breakfast and put it on his table.

"Sit." He said, looking at her intently.

She sat on a chair opposite his.

He began eating breakfast half-heartedly. He lost his appetite.

"Your mother is coming in the afternoon... to take you for your appointment." He informed.

She nodded, keeping quiet.

She didn't speak a word as Shahrayar continued eating. When he was done, he asked, "Shahrazad, do you want to say something?"

He wanted her to say something.

"No."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded, not being able to voice out her reply.

"Okay." He said, even when he wanted to yell at her to tell him about what she thinks, what she feels. He makes him feel horrible thinking that he is the reason for her this condition. Where she hallucinates him.

"I have an important meeting today, so I'll be late." Saying so he took his laptop bag and left. "Shahrazad, don't forget to lock the main door."

And he was gone.

And again she was alone.

With her lover.

She went to lock the main door and as she turned back, she saw him. Standing in the middle of the living room, he was smiling at her with an undying love.

"Shahrayar!" She ran into his arms. "I love you."

He hugged her back and kissed her forehead while replying, "I love you too."

•••

She was hallucinating her unfulfilled desire. Her Prince Charming.

•••