Chapter 4

"So how's Soo Yung doing?" Carter wedged his head in between the two front car seats where Lee was getting acquainted with the scenery in Oakland from the passenger's seat while Sammy tried his best to stay concentrated on the road. They were on their way to the Lux Plaza Hotel, a spot where Sammy claimed the new guys were based at. For the moment, it was the only lead they had.

"I haven't seen that girl since Paris," Carter rambled on, more than overjoyed to get back to his old action cop days. "Can you believe it's been almost five years, man? I still got it though, believe that. Yeah, I still go it."

"She is studying in England," Lee informed him. "Graduating soon, her father's very proud."

Soo Yung was like a goddaughter to Lee, he cared for her as if they were blood-related. Though she was always highly endangered by being Consul Han's daughter, Lee was always ready to drop everything and keep her safe. Her kidnapping had lead him to meet and team up with Carter, she had tied them together in a way. It was bittersweet to see Soo Yung grow into her own independent woman, but she always assured him that she would visit him as much as she could and send lots of letters.

"That's great, man," Carter patted his friend's shoulder. "Hoo, I missed this! You hear people falling off after their glory days, but baby my days have always been shining!"

Lee looked at him with a raised brow. "Oh yeah? Is that why you've been teaching karate to people twice your age?"

"What? Man, I've been giving back to the community, that's all! These people need me like The Lakers need Shaq. I'm more than a karate teacher, I'm a guru, a healer, a visionary..."

"Delusional is what you are," Sammy chimed in. "The only reason I took your class was for those freezies they sell across the street at the end."

"Don't listen to him," Carter waved him off. "His head's probably scrambled from the heat or something."

"Yours is probably too big from all that air you breathe when you speak," Sammy said." Now, stop talking! We're dealing with an important matter right now, this ain't a sorority sleepover."

"Man, please! What do you know about them sorority honeys? Speaking of honey, you think we could make some time for some mu-shu, Lee?"

"Nuh-huh, we already decided on Burger King!"

"We ain't talking about some damn food, Sammy! Mu-shu's all about women, man."

"Please, the last woman who's even looked at your crusty ass was probably your momma, boy."

"Ooooh, I know like I know that you didn't bring my momma into this!"

"Is that the place?" Lee disrupted the petty fight to bring Sammy's attention to an art deco-inspired skyscraper on the horizon.

"Yeah, that's the place," he swatted Carter's head away from him. "I heard the security's tight in there. Last time some of our guys tried to get in, they got smoked in less than a minute. But they respect you, Ch'u."

Lee straightened in his seat. It had been a while since he had dealt with members of the Triad, the organized Chinese crime circles that posed threats around the world. Since his early retirement from being a chief inspector, he'd settled in the Chinese countryside and lived a relatively unassuming life, taking up hobbies like gardening and sudoku.

Constantly putting his life on the line, Lee had felt like a break was long overdue, though he obviously missed his action-packed career. Overall, he wanted to take time for himself, be at peace and away from gangsters and criminals always lurking in the shadows. However, this case changed everything.