My Untouchable Love

I first met him when I was six years old.

On a scorching hot summer day, in the forest that legend says is home to many spirits and monsters.

I got lost. I ran every where, trying to find the way out, and I quickly got tired.

Because of fear and loneliness, I began to cry and then...

He appeared.

"Hey kid."

I looked up to see who is calling out to me. I saw a man standing behind the tree, wearing a fox-mask.

"Why are you crying?" The man asked.

"There...There's someone here! I'm saved!!" I run to him, crying my heart out.

"Hey!!" The man exclaimed, avoiding the leaping child, causing him to crash on the ground.

I look at him suspiciously.

"I'm sorry. Are you a human child? If a human touches me, I'll disappear."

"You said 'human?' P' isn't a human?"

"I'm someone who lives out the forest."

"Eh? Then...you're a monster. But, what does 'disappear' mean?" I ask him curiously.

The man wearing the mask didn't say anything, and just continue looking at me.

I tried touching him several times but he keeps avoiding me, until he smack me on the head with a piece of wood he's holding.

"Owwwww... It-It looks like you really aren't human. Using a piece of wood to hit a child."

"What a scary brat. To disappear means...to be destroyed. The mountain God placed a spell on me. Once I'm touched by a human then it's the end for me."

"S-Sorry."

"Here, brat. Since I can't hold your hand, just grab on this stick. You're lost aren't you? I'll take you out of the forest." The man said, pushing the other end of the stick on me.

My eyes lit up, and I try to jump on him once again. "Thank you!!"

"Hey! Don't do that!"

And once again, I was smack. "I'm sorry. I forgot."

We walk our way out to the forest,me holding the other end of the stic0k and him on the other end.

"It's like a date!" I said, laughing lightly.

"What an insipid date." He replied coldly. "You aren't afraid?"

"What?" I asked him confusedly, looking up at him.

He didn't answer me instead he said, "Just keep on walking straight here and you'll find a road. Goodbye."

"P' stays here forever? Can I see you if I come back?"

"Many spirits and monsters live in here. 'The minute you go, your heart will become lost. You'll never return home!' The villagers all say that."

I ignored what he said and introduced myself instead, "My name is Gulf Kanawut. What about you?"

The man didn't answer.

"....Anyway, anyway, I'll come back here with a thank you gift tomorrow! Bye!"

I started running out from the forest when I heard him say, "It's Mew."

I stopped on my track and look back but I didn't see him anywhere.

"Gulf!"

"Ah, grandpa!"

"Gulf, you little idiot! Don't run off into the mountains by yourself. What if you got lost!?"