X

tw: death mentions

The whispers began

The whispers began.

They travelled every inch of the great hall, pouring of an obedient curiosity that was aimed at the four prefects. An explanation was demanded out of them, yet they stood just as clueless before the students that stared.

Maya's attention kept shifting, her mind allured by a false belief. One that promised sewed segments of ink to appear on her parchment.

A riddle that never showed.

And even though Draco's gaze was lifted
off her, moments ago, she still felt pressure where his eyes had pierced.

"What, are we supposed to write the first riddle ourselves too?" Cedric questioned, a drift of heavy irritation falling off his voice.

He had a hand shoved inside his pocket, the other clinging onto the worthless paper.

A frown, that hadn't wavered, clasped the edges of his face, leaving behind a crease that remained to adorn his forehead.

"There must be some sort of mistake." Hermione began, turning the card once more in her palm, only to be met with emptiness.

Flutters of anger were constricted in her tone, only recognized if you notice that they left a hint of redness upon her flushed cheeks.

She was growing impatient.

"Mione?"

Hermione glanced up, finding herself looking back at Luna Lovegood.

The blonde was a few inches away, a pair of shoes hanging at her side, for she wrapped their laces around two of her fingers.

The flames that decorated the wall's torches had failed her vibrant hues, turning them into a clouded blue where they usually paled,

- something that made her iris a black drop in the midst of a clear water surface.

Luna held her usual, peaceful demeanor, even after all this time, her smile was the same.

No alterations in its kindness.

Because the thing that really changed was her ability to find solace in the castle she dwelt in. An emotion that felt too personal for the naked eye to preserve, for its affect to be noticed.

Most of her house didn't live to embrace another breath, .. ravenclaws with wasted potential were now bodies turned soulless under the earth's fragile crust,

because they wouldn't take a step toward a side that birthed death eaters.

So, an isolated feeling, one that came from staying in a spacious common room with not enough students to fill it, follows Luna like a shadow, something that didn't belong to her.