prologue.

The sounds of forks and spoons scraping the plate filled the room, hurting my ears as it wasn't really the most pleasing sound.

"Honey, eat your food." I would. If this was real food. I thought as I stared at the vegetable salad in front of me. Noticing the amount of stares I'm getting from the visitors now, I had no choice but to eat this food they say.

Taking a sniff of it, I internally cringed but  reluctantly ate it anyways, swallowing it quickly. Mom then smiled at me before making conversation now with the visitors. They were fellow friends of my parents. And my parents, were mind you, well known doctors around the world.

When I was halfway done with this food, we heard a clinking sound, which clearly was murder for my ears. Looking up with an uninterested expression, I see it was dad with his wine glass in hand.

"Attention everyone.", I sighed, having a guess of where he was going, "My daughter here, Y/N, is finally starting her senior year."

Everybody then awwed, applauding me, as I gave them a slight smile.

"And you know what that means right?" My smile faltered. Oh no please don't go there. "We have another Y/L/N following our footsteps." Great. All of them started talking again, giving me knowing smiles.

"Isn't that right Y/N?" Everybody's attention turned to me now, as I suddenly felt uncomfortable, gripping on my fork tightly. Clearing my throat, I see my parents smiling although my brother was holding back a smirk.

He knew.

He knew that I didn't want to be a doctor. I never wanted to be one. Probably when I was younger, but that was only because I wanted to impress my parents.

But recently, I'm getting so tired of even trying to impress them - my so called parents.

"Uhh actually, I'm also considering to be a painter." I said timidly, the room falling silent after. "I can paint and I like it.", I added, though it only earned unimpressed looks from my parents.

"She doesn't know what she's saying-" Mom joked to the visitors but I quickly cut her off.

"Actually I'm not. I want to be a painter, I promise I can-"

"Y/N I think that's enough." Mom hissed at me, giving me a look that I used to be scared of. Used to be.

Before I could even respond to that, the visitors already excused themselves, saying that they need to go. Although it was pretty obvious, it was only because they didn't want to be part of the tension here.

As they closed the doors, the both of them turned to me now with their arms crossed. I rolled my eyes, making my way to the door but was blocked.

"What was that about?" She demanded.

"I spoke out on what I really wanted." I stated, as a matter of fact.

"No, you are going to be a doctor. There is no way you are not following our footsteps." Dad said sternly as I scoffed, "Look at your brother, he's a doctor too. And a successful one."

"Yeah and a complete dick. Look dad, I can't keep trying to be someone I'm not." I tried to reason now, but it was useless since he was still fuming.

"Do not call your brother that. And this is who you are, Y/N. A future successful doctor." Mom pointed out.

"Who are you to dictate on what I should be and what I should not?" I shot back, tone full of disdain.

"We are your parents." I laughed humorlessly at this now. Yeah right.

"Really? Because lately, it didn't feel like it." She then looked taken aback, stepping away from me. A look of guilt flashed through my eyes, but I was already out the door, getting in my car and driving off.

Arriving at my usual spot, I got out, feeling the cool breeze hit my face which I grew to love. This is where I go everytime I feel the need to, when I need to calm myself.

Laying on the hood of my car, I took out the pack of cigarettes which was safely placed on my pocket.

You know it's pretty funny when my parents are doctors, while I was a smoker.

Ahh the irony.

Taking one out, I lit it before putting it between my lips. And almost instantly, the thoughts about a while ago left my mind, feeling calmness settle within me.

As I inhaled some, I took out my cigarette, blowing it out. I then repeated the process until I'm finished, crushing it with my shoe.

Well, this kinda sums up my life. Escaping reality for a while, smoking a cancer stick, hoping that it'd get better.

And I know it will, probably not now, but soon. When I finish high school, I'll leave then live my dream and become who I am, not someone I'm not.

Then maybe, just maybe, it'll all be good.

Taking a deep sigh, I returned to my car, and to reality.

***

A/N: welpppp what do you guys think? Is it any good at all? But anyways I just felt like writing this story which was originally from the imagines book and.....hope you enjoy it!